How do you remove (or not send) metadata from filebeat to logstash?

Hi there. I am testing out filebeat on my Mac and it's successfully sending logs to logstash. Is there a way to only send the raw log message and not include any of the metadata?

For example, here's what I get once it's processed by logstash and written to an output file:

2019-09-25T18:21:31.177Z {name=myhostname.local, hostname=myhostname.local, id=x-x-x-x-x, os={name=Mac OS X, family=darwin, build=18G95, version=10.14.6, kernel=18.7.0, platform=darwin}, architecture=x86_64} 2019-09-25 12:21:29-06 myhostname softwareupdated[609]: Removing client SUUpdateServiceClient pid=32672, uid=0, installAuth=NO rights=(), transactions=0 (/usr/sbin/softwareupdate)

I don't need the info about my node -- I just want the log message as it originally existed. I don't know if it can be excluded on the filebeat side or if it needs to be filtered out at the logstash level.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

You can do it with processors (https://www.elastic.co/guide/en/beats/filebeat/current/drop-fields.html). Also you can comment out the add_host_metadata (see below) option.

processors:
  - drop_fields:
      fields: ["ecs.version", "agent.version", "agent.type", "agent.id", "agent.hostname", "input.type"]

# - add_host_metadata: ~
  # - add_cloud_metadata: ~

That did the trick -- thank you very much!

Happy to help. Please close this topic by accepting the solution.

Thanks
Abhishek

This topic was automatically closed 28 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.