How does the `default_operator` of QueryString really work with `multi field` in ES 6.1? Does it change the `OR clause` between the fields?

Hello, I'm updating my project from ES 2.3 to ES 6.1. I feel confused about the algorithm of QueryString with default_operator and fields.

My purpose is to search in the fields city.name and zipcode.raw with one query like New York 10001. But with the same query, the result is different between 2.3 and 6.1. So I used _validate API to debug.

Here's my debug in ES 2.3:

curl -XGET 'localhost:9200/myindex/_validate/query?explain&pretty' -d'
{
"query": {
"bool": {
"must": [{
"query_string": {
"query": "New York 10001",
"fields": ["city.name", "zipcode.raw"],
"default_operator": "AND"
}
}]
}
}
}'

I got the following result (which is what I want , and which is understood according to the doc):

"explanation" : "filtered(+(+(city.name:new | zipcode.raw:New) +(city.name:york | zipcode.raw:York) +(city.name:10001 | zipcode.raw:10001)))->cache(org.elasticsearch.index.search.nested.NonNestedDocsFilter@e17eb713)"

Now I use the same query in 6.3:

curl -XGET 'localhost:19200/buwox-index/_validate/query?explain=true&pretty' -H 'Content-Type: application/json' -d'
{
"query": "New York 10001",
"default_operator": "AND"
}
}]
}
}
}'

I got the following result:

"explanation" : "+(+((+city.name:new +city.name:york +city.name:10001) | zipcode.raw:New York 10001)) #DocValuesFieldExistsQuery [field=_primary_term]"

So after several tests, I found that in order to get what I want, I should use the query like this:

curl -XGET 'localhost:19200/buwox-index/_validate/query?explain=true&pretty' -H 'Content-Type: application/json' -d'
{
"query": "New AND York AND 10001",
"default_operator": "OR"
}
}]
}
}
}'

With this query I can get the same result as 2.3:

"explanation" : "+(+(+(city.name:new | zipcode.raw:New) +(city.name:york | zipcode.raw:York) +(city.name:10001 | zipcode.raw:10001))) #DocValuesFieldExistsQuery [field=_primary_term]"

So here comes my question, according to the doc QueryString, if there is no explicit operator, the query will use what I defined in default_operator. Right?
And with multi field, the relation between the fields is OR clause.
So why couldn't I use no explicit operator with default_operator = AND to get the purpose? It seems that the default_operator changes also the combination between the multi field, if I don't use explicit operator.

I don't think it's related to my mapping. But just in case, I post also my mapping in 2.3 and 6.1.

My mapping in 2.3:

"zipcode": {
"type": "integer",
"index": "not_analyzed",
"fields": {
"raw": {
"type": "string",
"index": "not_analyzed"
}
}
},
"city": {
"properties": {
"name": {
"fields": {
"raw": {
"index": "not_analyzed"
}
}
},
"slug": {
"index": "not_analyzed",
"include_in_all": false
}
}
}

My mapping in 6.1:

"analysis": {
"analyzer": {
"default": {
"type": "custom",
"tokenizer": "standard",
"filter": [ "asciifolding", "lowercase", "geowords" ]
}
},
"filter": {
"geowords": {
"type" : "word_delimiter_graph",
"split_on_case_change" : false,
"preserve_original" : false
}
}
}
"zipcode": {
"type": "integer",
"index": true,
"fields" : { "raw" : { "type" : "keyword", "index" : true } }
},
"city": {
"properties" : {
"name" : { "type": "text", "fields" : { "raw" : { "type" : "keyword", "index" : true } } },
"slug" : { "type": "keyword", "index": true }
}
}

Can someone help? Thanks.

Please don't post the same thing more than once :slight_smile: