How does the elasticsearch expand capacity and shrink capacity?

elasticsearch version: 5.5.2
A cluster of 3 nodes.

How does elasticsearch reduce capacity and scale out capacity? Is there any operation command?

What do you mean by expanding and shrinking capacity?

Sorry, I mean how elasticsearch reduce capacity and scale out capacity.

What type of capacity? Storage, nodes, heap, RAM, CPU?

Yes, it is storage. Now I put large amount of data in the index, but the primary shards can't store any more, how to solve this problem?

What is your use case? How many indices and shards do you have? How many documents in total? How large are the indices and shards?

Yeah, thanks. I put 10TB data into one index, and there are 3 primary shards and 6 replica shards, if I want to store more data, how to scale out the storage of elasticsearch.

What type of data do you have? What is the use case? I assume the PB is a typo? Should it be GB or TB?

Yeah, the unit is PB. Because the number of primary shards can't be modified once created, then how do we scale out their storage later?

It looks like you corrected it to TB. What is the use case? What type of data do you have? The reason I am asking this is that it impacts how you best manage your data.

I would recommend you read this section from 'Elasticsearch: the definitive guide' around designing for scale.

Sorry, I don't have particular type of data now, I just assumpt that.

Thanks, but there aren't many operations guides in the page. I'm sorry that I still have no idea how to do.

You define your indexing and sharing strategy based on what type of data you have, which is described in the documentation I linked to. Elasticsearch will use the storage it has available and once you reach the limit of the nodes in the cluster, you usually scale up/and or out, at which point Elasticsearch will redistribute the data.

Once you have more details we might be able to provide better and more detailed guidance.

Thanks, we really looking forward to your more detailed guidance. And could you explain a lit more detail about how Elasticsearch redistribute the data?

Please read the full chapter I linked earlier. You may also find this guide useful.

Without details around your use-case or data I am afraid I can not provide any more detailed guidance.

Ok, thanks a lot.

This topic was automatically closed 28 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.