How to access Kibana or Sense running on remote machine?

Hi,

I am running Kibana on the default port (5601) on an Amazon AWS EC2 instance (cloud desktop). I want to use Sense to view my Elasticsearch indexes on the EC2 instance. But I want to do this on my windows desktop. What's the best way to go about doing this? How do I access port 5601 of my EC2 machine from my desktop?

This is something you'll probably have to work out with AWS.

Both Kibana and Elasticsearch are capable of serving requests from wherever, but exposing them to the open internet is not a good idea unless you have some other way to secure them.

The only other thing I can think of is using SSH tunneling to expose ports 5601 and 9200 from your cloud desktop on your local desktop, but I'm not sure if you can do that with windows...

Is there any way to view the Elasticsearch database through Kibana+Sense straight from an EC2 machine? I'm SSHing into the EC2 instance using PuTTy. Usually I use Chrome or Firefox to view port 5601, is there another way?

When you said "cloud desktop" I figured you were using something like VNC or Remote Desktop.

Maybe you could set up an Nginx proxy in front of Kibana and secure it with basic auth. There are hundreds of guides for setting up nginx as a reverse proxy with basic auth, but here is an Elasticsearch specific one, just replace the mentions of Elasticsearch with Kibana and make sure you expose port 80 in your ec2 instances security group.

This topic was automatically closed 28 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.