How to avoid creating the dynamic fields in Kibana upon json decode of a specific field in the filebeat processor?

Hello,

I have an application deployed on IBM K8. It logs on the console. Logs range from simple json to nested json.

I use the custom template with fields.yml for the fields in the ES-Kibana.

Here is my filebeat prospector:

• type: log
    paths:
    - /var/lib/docker/containers//.log
    - /var/data/kubeletlogs///*.log#
    json.message_key: log
    #json.keys_under_root: true
    logging.files.keepfiles: 7
    #fields_under_root: true

Here is my filebeat.yaml config

processors:
- add_kubernetes_metadata:
in_cluster: true
- decode_json_fields:
fields: ["message"]
process_array: true
max_depth: 1

output.elasticsearch:
enabled: true
hosts: ["host"]
protocol: "https"
username: "username"
password: "password"
#ssl.enabled: true
ssl.certificate_authorities: ["/usr/share/filebeat/certificate.pem"]
#ssl.certificate: "/usr/share/filebeat/certificate.pem"
index: "my-log-%{+YYYY.MM.dd}"
setup.template:
name: "my-log"
pattern: "my-log-*"
overwrite: false
enabled: false

The default fields.yml that comes with filebeat, has a field "message" of type text.
It is this field which has my stringified json log.

Now, if i disable the decode json part in the processor, i get my logs under the message field in the stringified way.

But, if I apply the decode json for the field "message", it decodes it properly, but it creates all the dynamics fields from the decoded json.

How can i contain the decoded json as part of "message" field only, and not allow it to be split and hv the fields created for them.

Also, when i do the json decode on "message" i get mapper issues, saying that the message if of type "text" but upon decode, it gets an object.

Can i change the type of the "message" field as "object" instead of "text". Will this resolve my mapper issue?
Can there be a way to change the type of the field in the fields.yml from "text" to "object" through filebeats.yml config?

This topic was automatically closed 28 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.