How to completely disable logstash logging?

Hi,
I am using Linux system.
I do not want logstash to write any log either under location "/usr/share/logstash/logs" or under "/var/log/logstash".

I want to completely disable all type of logging for logstash.

Please let me know what should I do?

I'm not sure that's possible. Why do you want to do that?

@magnusbaeck,
It is consuming huge disk space, hence do not want to store any logs.

Modifying your logstash.yml to have log.level: warn or log.level:error might help. But it might also be worth reading those logs and understanding why it is logging so much.

For example, in one of my instances, I had hundreds of megabytes of errors from xml filters that were failing because the xml was getting truncated upstream. Adding a simple check to see if the xml text ended in > before applying the xml filter cut the logs by 95%.

@Badger, True. Even for me, i had written ruby filters for 4.x version and the same code i am using for 6.2 version. that might be the problem. I am checking the same but meanwhile i wanted to stop the logs. I changed it to fatal level. Now, for time being, nothing is being written. :slight_smile:

Would it be possible to change the path to which logstash logs to to /dev/null?

If you set path.logs to /dev/null then you get an exception

2018-06-12 16:03:48,264 main ERROR Unable to create file /dev/null/logstash-plain.log java.io.IOException: File /dev/null exists and is not a directory. Unable to create directory.

I expect you could update log4j.properties to avoid this.

Thank you very much! let me check log4j.properties.

This topic was automatically closed 28 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.