How to define mustache variable for Kibana TSVB time series label

Dear Kibana Experts,

According to https://www.elastic.co/guide/en/kibana/master/TSVB.html, for "series that are grouped by a term, I need to specify a mustache variable of {{key}} to substitute the term" for labels.
I am using metricBeat to streaming prometheus data to ELK, I'd like to use "prometheus.labels.instance _process CPU Load" as my legend. I googled for a long time, didn't find solution, could u please kindly advice?

Thanks in advance!

Thanks,
Roy

You should be able to use the IP addresses as keys, if you substitute all the special characters for _. So 10_100_73_137_2046.label

Thx @wylie for ur help!!! But:

1. I am using container, hence the IP is dynamically assigned, seems I can't use static IP as keys.
  2. For this case, I using 10_100_73_137_2046.label as key, but seems it doesn't work.

BTW, the variable for my IP is prometheus.labels.instance

Could u pls kindly advice? Thx in advance!!!

I don't think I understand your goal then. Can you explain?

Dear @wylie,

I am using grouped by term (i.e, ip, variable is prometheus.labels.instance) to show each server's CPU Util, by default the label(legend) is IP address.
My goal is to add suffix to every label, e.g, for 10.100.73.137:2046, I want to show it as 10.100.73.137:2046_systemcpuload, just like kibana line graph:

Hope it clarifies :slight_smile:
Thanks for ur help in advance!

Whole context
In this graph, I want to show both system cpu load and process cpu load for every server. If the label is ip address, I can't distinguish system cpu load from process cpu load, hence I want to add suffix to IP address, e,g 10.100.73.137:2046_systemcpuload && 10.100.73.137:2046_processcpuload

Thanks,
Roy

I understand the goal now. It looks like you've found a missing feature in TSVB, and I created an issue for it.

Your best workaround is one you've already found: use Visualize or Lens to create a second Y axis, and this will give your series a unique name.

Thx dear @wylie!
Hope we will have this feature in TSVB soon. TSVB is much better than Visualize :slight_smile:

TSVB is one of reasons that I am using Kibana to replace Grafana as visualization solution:)

As one of the engineers who works on Lens, I hope you'll try it out too- it's meant to be easy to use.

Thx @wylie!!! I will try Lens.
BTW, I'd like to bring another question to u (Kibana expert:) , elastic API can support moving functions, but seems Kibana doesn't support moving functions (it only support moving average), do we have any work around? Does Lens support moving functions?

One of biggest problems of migrating from Grafana to Kibana is Kibana doesn't support moving functions.

Pls feel free to let me know that I need to create another topic :smile:

It is generally best to ask one question per thread, but in this case there is a short answer: most Kibana visualizations support the basic moving functions, but not Lens yet. If you're missing a specific moving function, or seeing something else confusing, a separate post would be best.

Thx @wylie!

This topic was automatically closed 28 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.