How to DELETE logs from elasticsearch index which are older then 90 days?

Is it possible to delete logs from elasticsearch index which are older than 3 months?

NOTE: I don't want to create daily based or monthly based index and but want only one index and want to delete 3-month-old data inside that index based on timestamps.

Does anybody have any idea how to delete data after three months automatically?

Thanks in advance.

As long as you know this is really inefficient and absolutely not what is recommended by elastic, you can do whatever you want. :blush:
I just want to make sure you know what you are doing.

Does anybody have any idea how to delete data after three months?

Use the Delete By Query API: Delete by query API | Elasticsearch Guide [8.11] | Elastic

Does anybody have any idea how to delete data after three months automatically?

Add this query in a crontab or something like this to run it everyday for example.

1 Like

Hi @dadoonet,

Thank you so much for replying. It's deleting the data as I want but I'm doing hard code the the timestemp column as given below.

POST metricbeat-system-monitor/_delete_by_query
{
"query": {
"range" : {
"@timestamp" : {
"gte" : "01/27/2019",
"lte" : "01/29/2019",
"format": "MM/dd/yyyy||yyyy"
}
}
}
} 

@dadoonet, Could you please suggest me the better way to maintain the 3-month historical data so that I can compare historical data to current data.

Is it a question?

Not sure I understood the question.
To manage time series data with a retention period the solution is to use time based indices. But you said that you don't want this.

This topic was automatically closed 28 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.