How to extract a message JSON value using JSON Input under Kibana Visualization

Below is the message that is captured in my logs and, as of no values/fields are getting extracted.

{"browser":"Edge","id":766415199,"status":"SessionCreated"}

Can I use JSON Input under Kibana visualization to extract each value and create a tabular visualization without extracting these fields ?

It sounds like what you want is to use a Scripted Field in Kibana. Note that you cannot do aggregations on scripted fields, but you can use them to filter on.

If you do need to do aggregations, I recommend using a Ingest Pipeline in Elasticsearch which allows you to modify data before it is ingested. Once you have this working, you can reindex all of the documents to re-process the existing docs that were created before you configured the pipeline.

Due to our current project permissions, I won't be able to add scripted fields under Kibana. Just wanted to know if Json Input can be similar to scripted fields so that the fields are only created/generated at visualization time.

Just wanted to know if Json Input can be similar to scripted fields so that the fields are only created/generated at visualization time.

This is correct, you can use the JSON input to add a scripted field "on the fly" to your visualization. You can find an example of this in my comment here:

This topic was automatically closed 28 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.