How to filter the logs which has the numeric value greater than specific number in particular field?

I am running tomcat service in client. I would like to monitor tomcat access logs and filter the logs which has response time greater than specific number.

e.g : I have the tomcat access log.

192.168.1.10 - - [26/May/2015:21:56:51 -0700] "POST /url HTTP/1.1" 200 50

In the example, it has the response time 50 in the 10th field. i would like to check condition at 10th filed. if the value exceeds the limit(specific number), i need to filter that logs.

Let me, what is the filter(grok or range) will be useful for that and also let me know the syntax.

Thanks in advance.

Hello,

That was quite easy, and grok filters for tomcat/apache logs are easy to find on google.

Here is full example of what you did, with mathing events with time above 10. I had used 'mutate' and 'add_tag' to show that.

The rules:

The documentation and examples :

Hello,
It matches all logs which means it sends all the logs to elasticsearch server and adds tag "matched_above_10" if the response_time greater than 10.

Instead of that, it will send response_time greater than 10 logs only to elasticsearch server(i.e It would drop other logs) and will add tag "matched_above_10".

I used simple regex to grab greater than 50 response value logs and removed "_grokparsefailure" tags. Now i got the expected results.

filter {
if [type] == "tomcat_response" {
grok {
match => { "message" => "%{IP} - - [%{HTTPDATE}] "%{DATA}" %{NUMBER} ([6-9]\d|\d{3,})" }
add_tag => "slowresponse"
}
if "_grokparsefailure" in [tags] {
drop { }
}
}
}

Thanks for your assist.

I used simple regex to grab greater than 50 response value logs and removed "_grokparsefailure" tags. Now i got the expected results.

Yes, but that's not a very nice way of doing it. Given a proper grok expression that extracts the fields in the log (which you should have anyway) you can just do this:

filter {
  if [type] == "tomcat_response" and [response_time] > 50 {
    mutate {
      add_tag => "slowresponse"
    }
  } else {
    drop { }
  }
}

I had idea to try else condition today. But you got it. The new syntax makes sense.
It is perfect.

Thanks.