How to flush APM transaction before shutting down application (.net 6 / console / Lambda)

I'm using Elastic APM on my .NET 6 API which works perfectly fine.
I'm trying to get it roll on my console and AWS Lamdba deploys as well.

I moved out the important pieces to a separate project to easier debug and show my setup here; https://github.com/privjimmie/ApmDebug

The bottom line is that I can't figure out how to get the APM transactions to be sent out / flushed before the app is shutdown.

warn: Elastic.Apm[0] {PayloadSenderV2} Cancellation requested. Following events were not transferred successfully to the server xxx

(Full log below)

Kibana version: 8.4.3

Elasticsearch version: 8.4.3

APM Server version: 8.4.3

APM Agent language and version: Elastic.Apm.NetCoreAll v 1.18.0

Provide logs and/or server output (if relevant):

info: Elastic.Apm[0]
      {AbstractConfigurationReader (MicrosoftExtensionsConfig)} The agent was started without a service version. The service version will be automatically discovered.
      {AbstractConfigurationReader (MicrosoftExtensionsConfig)} The agent was started without a service version. The automatically discovered service version is 1.0.0
      {MetricsCollector} Collecting metrics in 30000 milliseconds interval
APM.MaxBatchEventCount: 1
APM.FlushInterval: 00:00:01
info: Microsoft.Hosting.Lifetime[0]
      Application started. Press Ctrl+C to shut down.
      Hosting environment: Production
      Content root path: D:\data\Repositories\Private\ApmDebug\bin\Debug\net6.0
Simulate work here for 5 seconds
      {CentralConfigurationFetcher} Updating ConfigurationStore. New central configuration: [ETag: `"-"']{}
      {ConfigurationStore} Replaced current snapshot. Old: local. New: local + central (ETag: `"-"').
Call StopApplication()
      Application is shutting down...
StopAsync. Return CompletedTask
warn: Elastic.Apm[0]
      {PayloadSenderV2} Cancellation requested. Following events were not transferred successfully to the server (https://xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx.apm.eu-west-1.aws.cloud.es.io/):
          Transaction{Id: 360515c4795a0e60, TraceId: 19ccacb77dd51c62819fb7cc4402e057, ParentId: null, Name: TestName, Type: exec, Outcome: Success, IsSampled: True}
Exiting..

How can I flush the transactions to elastic apm server before shutting down the app?

Hi @jimmie,

this is a known limitation - we plan to address this in a future release.

Here is a GitHub issue about it: Agent API to flush all the queued events · Issue #288 · elastic/apm-agent-dotnet · GitHub (there are some other related issues - including ones specifically for lambda - as well in the repo; but this comes down to the missing feature and the linked issue).

Oh, okey. I thought it was me missing something. Thanks for the quick feedback @GregKalapos

This topic was automatically closed 20 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.