How to ignore certain spans

Hello,
I'm using Elastic Cloud and very pleased with it so far. However I've come with a requirement that I can't seem to find a solution for. Is someone able to point in the right direction?

The application uses Mysql and H2, and all queries are being logged, however I don't want the H2 queries logged within a transaction, is it possible to permentently ignore certain types of spans somehow? Either in the Kibana view, or not sending them in the first place? disable_instrumentations allows me to disable jdbc, but I only want to disable a specific DB type.

Thanks,
Steven.

Hey and welcome to the forum!

One option to deal with this is through ingestion - check out the ingest node pipelines. The drop processor should fulfil your needs.

Another option is to exclude the H2 driver classes from instrumentation at the agent itself - try to set classes_excluded_from_instrumentation with the H2 driver base package (if you use as System property, the property name would be elastic.apm.classes_excluded_from_instrumentation). For example - classes_excluded_from_instrumentation=org.h2.*

I hope this helps.

I corrected the example above, as theclasses_excluded_from_instrumentation config needs to be set with wildcards in order to exclude packages.

Brilliant. That sorts it :ok_hand:
classes_excluded_from_instrumentation is a most useful addition.

However, I can't find any mention of it in the docs? Is it something you don't normally want people to use?

Currently it's a hidden config, and by setting it you actually overrode the defaults, but if you don't get anything instrumented that you don't want - this is not a problem.
We intend to expose it soon, it just requires a small change so it wouldn't override the defaults. Once we do that, it will be documented as well.
Thanks for the feedback!

This topic was automatically closed 20 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.