How to Increase number of shards of an existing Index

Hi All,

I am new to ES stack. I have a question related to reindexing-

I have created an index with default option(5 shards and 1 replica). Can I increase number of shards for my index if data size of my index increases in future? Or I need to re-index the index with updated number of shards.
We have read in the documentation that its always better to create index with required number of shard but I our case we are not able to calculate data size as it is still growing.

Thanks,
Shiveendra

Can I increase number of shards for my index if data size of my index increases in future?

The practice is to create a new index and start indexing data into the new index.

Time based indices are a good example. Check out the elasticsearch documentation for time based indices.

What is your use case? Which version are you using?

thanks for the reply. We want to keep reporting data. This data is timestamp driven, it will grow with time. If I will keep data in one index then may be I have to increase number of shards of that index.

Thanks for the reply. It seems this will solve my problem. I just need to check how to use composite query in this case. As index will be created on daily basis.

Thanks for the help. please close this topic.

You shouldn't be using a single index for this type of data.

The best option is to use ILM - https://www.elastic.co/guide/en/elasticsearch///reference/current/index-lifecycle-management.html - or alternatively, time based indices.

This topic was automatically closed 28 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.