How to manage elasticsearch data directory

(mohit gupta) #1

I am using ELK stack in UAT environment along with the filebeat functionality (installed in various webservers).

While using it, i could see that directory /elasticsearch-5.2.2/data/nodes directory is getting increased drastically which results in crashing the server where elasticsearch is installed. So is there any way to handle such big data automatically . I am very new to elasticsearch. What i want to delete the older data indices automatically in regular intervals.

(Mark Walkom) #2

FYI we’ve renamed ELK to the Elastic Stack, otherwise Beats feels left out :wink:

Why does it crash what is the log?

You can use Elasticsearch Curator to manage indices.

(mohit gupta) #3

Thanks for your reply. It is being crashed because of 100 % disk utilization as data/nodes directory is getting increased in size quickly. 50 GB is consumed in a day.

Also, Can you please help me to use elasticsearch curator step by step as i am very new to this. Will it manage the indices logs automatically?

(Christian Dahlqvist) #4

The space data takes up on disk will depend on your mappings, and you can often save a lot of space by optimising these. This is discussed in this blog post as well as in the documentation.

(system) #5

This topic was automatically closed 28 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.