How to map fields with dynamic keys

Hi guys, I need to add some dynamic fields into my documents but those fields have dynamic keys like this example:

[
{
"loc_42": 0.5,
"loc_21": 0.7
},
{
"loc_42": 0.5,
"loc_15": 0.8,
"loc_18": 0.2,
"loc_2": 0.1
},
{
"loc_421": 0.5,
"loc_11": 0.8,
"loc_13": 0.2,
"loc_20": 0.1
},
]

The nature of my keys is dynamic, it may include any id number. The problem of just adding these documents is to inflate my mapping schema with a very large number of different keys. I tried to use dynamic templates but I had the same problem.

Is possible to add those fields to my documents, keep them searchable but without having them on mappings?

Thank you!

1 Like

You can use trailing wildcards in templates, so "loc_*": "float" or similar.

1 Like

Hey @warkolm, thank you for the reply. I tried to do it before, but with dynamic templates , I still have all the keys in mapping schema. For the dynamic template you suggested, after indexing my documents, I got it:

GET my_index/_mappings

{
  "my_index": {
    "mappings": {
      "my_type": {
        "dynamic_templates": [
          {
            "dynamic_keys": {
              "mapping": {
                "type": "float"
              },
              "match": "loc_*"
            }
          }
        ],
        "properties": {
          "loc_11": {
          },
          "loc_13": {
          },
          "loc_15": {
          },
          "loc_18": {
          },
          "loc_2": {
          },
          "loc_20": {
          },

I would like to avoid that because the number of dynamic keys I may generate in my real scenario is very large.

What are you after then?

Indexing all this data on Elasticsearch but without flooding my mapping schema with a lot of keys/fields. In Solr, for instance, I could create a dynamic field loc_*: float without having each possible key value in my schema. I would like to have something like this.

I have total control over the indexing, so I can represent keys differently if necessary.

So you want to merge them all into one field name?

It could be. What I need is to have these 'dynamic fields' in my documents, to boost by their values in queries or to filter by these keys. However, I want to have them mapped to only one field (or one field pattern) in mappings.

Ahh ok.

Well you can set one definition in the template, but ES will still keep all the individual fields in the mappings irrespectively. You cannot change this.

Ok, thank you very much for your help.

This topic was automatically closed 28 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.