How to run Metricbeat as a service on SUSE enterprise 11

Hi,

I have installed Meticbeat on SUSE Linux Enterprise 11 using the .rpm package. I am also able to start metricbeat from the command line using the command 'sudo ./metricbeat -e'.
However when I try to start it as a service using the command 'sudo service metricbeat start', it gives an error saying service metricbeat not found.
Can you please help with this isssue?

Best Regards,
Arun

Hello,

Thanks for the metricbeat question. Which version of metricbeat are you running? Also which service pack of SLES 11 are you running?

I used the following vagrant box:
https://app.vagrantup.com/elastic/boxes/sles-11-x86_64

I was able to install metricbeat, but I hit an issue with running the service command. Perhaps this is an issue only on my minimal vagrant box. Do you also have this issue?

vagrant-sles-11sp4-x64:~ # rpm -q metricbeat
metricbeat-7.3.2-1
vagrant-sles-11sp4-x64:~ # chkconfig --list metricbeat
metricbeat                0:off  1:off  2:off  3:off  4:off  5:off  6:off
vagrant-sles-11sp4-x64:~ # service metricbeat status
/etc/init.d/metricbeat: line 38: /etc/rc.d/init.d/functions: No such file or directory
/etc/init.d/metricbeat: line 42: status: command not found
/etc/init.d/metricbeat: line 88: status: command not found

Hi,

Thanks a lot for the reply. My metricbeat version is metricbeat-7.3.1-x86_64.
And yes, I am also getting the exact same error:

I get the same error - Suse 11 - for Filebeat in my case (assume the same init script though?)

sethaironfire:/etc/init.d # sudo service filebeat status
/etc/init.d/filebeat: line 38: /etc/rc.d/init.d/functions: No such file or directory
/etc/init.d/filebeat: line 42: status: command not found
/etc/init.d/filebeat: line 88: status: command not found

I found a similar issue for openSUSE.

Do you know if SLES 11 supports systemd? I suspect that SLES began supporting systemd in SLES 12 since that is the version of SLES we test/support for beats.

https://www.elastic.co/support/matrix

Thanks,

Managed to get it half working using some code from a guy who posted a Suse specific init file.
If I get it working properly, I’ll feed back

That sounds great. Please let us know if you have further questions.

Thanks a lot. Will wait for your reply :smiley:

This topic was automatically closed 28 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.