How to set up: Synology -> Logstash RFC3164

Hi,

I'm very new to the complete ELK stack. I set up on a ESXI 6.5 a CentOS 7 (minimal installation) the ELK stack. Everything is working so far (I think so).
I used for that: http://www.tecmint.com/install-elasticsearch-logstash-and-kibana-elk-stack-on-centos-rhel-7/

Now I want to send my data from my synology to logstash. Synology has a very easy GUI where I can set up the IP-Adress, Port, RFC3164 Schema and transferprotocol. So I have set up everything like that.

On the Synology (for sending log files):
IP: 192.168.0.13
Port: 514
Transferprotocol: UDP
Format: RC3164
There is no firewall running on CentOS (because internal/test usage).

Then I created the following file:
First, let’s make a simple configuration file for Logstash + syslog, called logstash-syslog.conf.
https://www.elastic.co/guide/en/logstash/current/config-examples.html

Now my questions:
How can I see that Logstash is using that config?
What is about the filters?
How can I send the file into Kibana or Elasticsearch (everyhting is on the same server)
Kibana question: What is the Index pattern?
How can I update the Kibana + ElasticSearch + Logstash to the actual version?

I know some very basic questions. I would be thankful if someone writes some explanation and a little "dummie" guide, because I have googled but it's not so easy to finde content to basic questions.

Thanks for your help.

How can I see that Logstash is using that config?

Do you have any reason to believe it isn't used? But sure, you can start Logstash with --debug and see exactly what configuration Logstash is reading into memory.

What is about the filters?

I don't understand this question.

How can I send the file into Kibana or Elasticsearch (everyhting is on the same server)

Add an elasticsearch output plugin to your configuration. I'm sure this is covered by introductory Logstash documentation.

Kibana question: What is the Index pattern?

In short, the index pattern selects which Elasticsearch indexes to query.

How can I update the Kibana + Elasticsearch + Logstash to the actual version?

If you're using a package manager to install the prorgam (which you should do) you can just upgrade the packages.

This topic was automatically closed 28 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.