How to start logstash 6.2.4 multiple instance

Hi ,

How can i run multiple logstash configuration file on single server ? When i am running more than one configuration file i am getting error message for multiple instance running.

Thanks,
Priti

Multiple pipelines or multiple instances of Logstash?

Multiple pipelines with a single instance of Logstash are configured in pipelines.yml.

Running multiple instances of Logstash is possible, but requires a bit more configuration. Each instance has to have its own config directory, startup config, data dir, log dir, etc. Also the instances cannot listen on the same ports. It is a bit more work, but is possible.

It means in one logstash\bin folder we can create 1 conf file and for multiple conf file we have to copy logstash folder multiple time ?

It means in one logstash\bin folder we can create 1 conf file and for multiple conf file we have to copy logstash folder multiple time ?

No, you don't need to maintain multiple copies of the Logstash program files, but some directories (outlined by Robert) need to be instance-unique.

@magnusbaeck Where should these directories be placed in the Logstash folder? How will an instance point itself to these directories?

It is really simple...

1. Setup Logstash normally.
  2. Make copies of all the configuration parts and paths necessary for Logstash to run. (/etc/logstash, /var/lib/logstash, /var/log/logstash, /etc/systemd/system/logstash.service, etc)
  3. Edit the copies so that all the paths are correct and each instance uses its own port numbers
  4. Start each instance

This is just normal Linux admin stuff.

Hi @rcowart,
Sorry its still unclear to me as I am new to ELK stack. Can you please explain it in simple terms? I mean which folders to copy and how each folder will point to separate instance. Also, are the steps different for windows and linux?

This topic was automatically closed 28 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.