I need to create an Alert in case APM stop working. Does Kibana have anything that could help with it?

I've installed multiple Java APM agents and would like to monitor them in a sense that if any stop responding I get an alert. The same principle would be for the Elastic-Agent. I saw some alerts for metrics and logs threshold but couldn't reach a sense for the way to approach.

If anyone could help on this it would be great!

Elastic Cloud 8.5.1

Not directly answering your request, but the Java agent has health metrics - you would need to enable them and the experimental flag. Then you can choose a metric that should always be non-zero and alert if the value is not >0 in some interval?

1 Like

Thank you for the reply, that certainly seems very useful for my case. But I'm not sure as for how I would set it on my configuration.

I configure the APM directly unto the application conf file like this:

wrapper.java.additional.17 = -javaagent:C:\Program Files\APP SERVICE\elastic-apm-agent-1.43.0.jar
wrapper.java.additional.18 = -Delastic.apm.service_name=APP-SERVICE
wrapper.java.additional.19 = -Delastic.apm.server_urls=https://<host>apm.westus2.azure.elastic-cloud.com:443
wrapper.java.additional.20 = -Delastic.apm.secret_token=<token>
wrapper.java.additional.21 = -Delastic.apm.environment=test
wrapper.java.additional.22 = -Delastic.apm.application_packages=com.hp,com.hpe

Is there a specific flag I could add so I have these health metrics?

-Delastic.apm.agent_reporter_health_metrics=true
-Delastic.apm.agent_background_overhead_metrics=true

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 28 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.