I_o_exception Invalid argument error when taking snapshot

Hello,

I'm getting the following error when trying to take a snapshot of an Elasticsearch cluster.

{
"error" : {
"root_cause" : [
{
"type" : "snapshot_creation_exception",
"reason" : "[backup:snapshot_2/abcjahdkiaudiadi] failed to create snapshot"
}
],
"type" : "snapshot_creation_exception",
"reason" : "[backup:snapshot_2/abcjahdkiaudiadi] failed to create snapshot",
"caused_by" : {
"type" : "i_o_exception",
"reason" : "Invalid argument"
}
},
"status" : 500
}

Could somebody please explain what this could be related to ? Is it RAM related ?

Just to summarize, the version of Elasticsearch is 5.6.1, the repo is pointing to an NFS drive and it does have elasticsearch:elasticsearch permissions. I also had no problems creating the repo.

Thanks.

Hi @ion_popa

Could somebody please explain what this could be related to ?

It's hard to say from just the exception I'm seeing alone. Could you check your log files around the time of the failure, they should contain a warning logged with additional details on the exception.

Is it RAM related ?

Almost certainly not.

Hi @Armin_Braun - I've already checked the elastic log and all I'm getting is "Caused by: java.io.IOException: Invalid argument" and "failed to create snapshot [snapshot name]" Nothing more to help pinpoint to the problem unfortunately.

@ion_popa could you still paste the stack trace logged for that exception maybe? (there should be a stack trace logged) I think that might be sufficient to understand the root cause here.

thanks!

you can also add the error_trace=true parameter to your request to hopfully add the full stack trace.

@spinscale and also @Armin_Braun - it seems to work now ! I can take a backup without issues, a couple of hours ago it didn't work. Very weird ! I wonder if it was something related with the fact that it was a new NFS share and something wasn't configured on that end.

This topic was automatically closed 28 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.