If then else not working in FileBeat processor

I'm trying to setup some processors in a filebeat.yml to process some logs before sending to ELK.

An important part of the processing is determining the "level" of the event, which is not always included in the line in the log file.

This is the idea I have for it right now:

# /var/log/messages
- type: log

processors:
  - dissect:
      tokenizer: "%{month} %{day} %{time} %{hostname} %{service}: {%message}"
      field: "message"
      target_prefix: "dissect"
  - if:
      when:
        regexp:
    then:
      - add_fields:
          target: 'dissect'
          fields:
            level: error
    else:
      - if:
          when:
            regexp:
        then:
          - add_fields:
              fields:
                level: warning 
        else:
          - add_fields:
              fields:
                level: information 
  - drop_fields: 
      #duplicate
      fields: ["dissect.month","dissect.day","dissect.time","dissect.hostname","message"]

# Change to true to enable this input configuration.
  enabled: true

paths:
    - /var/log/messages

I'm still not sure about those patterns I'm trying... but right now I don't think they're what's causing me to fail.

When trying to run filebeat with console output for a test with

filebeat -e -c filebeat.yml

I get the following error:

2022-01-26T17:45:27.174+0200    ERROR   instance/beat.go:877    Exiting: Error while initializing input: failed to make if/then/else processor: missing or invalid condition
Exiting: Error while initializing input: failed to make if/then/else processor: missing or invalid condition

I'm very new to yaml in general, and the only other beat I've done before is an AuditBeat (which works, and has conditions, but not "if"s). Does anyone know what the problem might be?

To clarify: I commented out all other "input" entries, leaving just this one, and still got this error.

Version: 7.2.0

Got an answer on SO: elk - If then else not working in FileBeat processor - Stack Overflow

The short of it is that "if" doesn't use "when" (and of course some other syntax issues were noted)

Credit to Adrian Serrano :slight_smile:

This topic was automatically closed 28 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.