ILM pattern is incrementing by 2 after using delete phase

Hey Everyone, I am trying ILM as a possible solution for some project at work, everything was working as expected based on the documentation, until the point I described a delete phase in the ILM policy, the indices are being delete as expected but I noticed the name pattern of new indices created started increasing by 2 instead of 1.

At first I suspected indices were being created and deleted right away, but checking ElasticSearch logs where I can see logs describing the phase transitions for the indices, it seems the "missing" indices were never created, what makes me think this is some kind of bug.

this is the ILM policy definition by the way:

{
  "policy" : {
      "phases" : {
        "warm" : {
          "min_age" : "10m",
          "actions" : { }
        },
        "cold" : {
          "min_age" : "15m",
          "actions" : {

}
        },
        "hot" : {
          "min_age" : "0ms",
            "rollover" : {
              "max_age" : "5m"
            }
          }
        },
        "delete" : {
          "min_age" : "20m",
            "delete" : {

}
          }
        }
      }
    }
}

If this is not a bug, could someone please explain how delete phase or the fact that some indices are deleted could affect the name generation for new indices created by rollover?

Welcome to our community! :smiley:

Are these min_age timings what you are actually using?

Thanks warkolm. those values are not for any real use case, but since I am doing some discovery on ILM, I reduced the values so I can check the results and how the indices behave quicker.

This topic was automatically closed 28 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.