ILM Policy name without beat version number in it

I do logfile analysis trainings which include the Elastic Stack.

I set setup.ilm.policy_name: metricbeat in /etc/metricbeat/metricbeat.yml in order to have a single ILM policy for different Metricbeat versions. Otherwise I'd have a new ILM policy with standard 50 GiB setting for each (even minor) release of the beat. I simply do not get why I would like to set up a different policy for each version. I know I could tell it to load my own policy, but I'd rather just change it in Kibana, rollover manually if needed, and be done with it.

This partly works:

• The Beat creates the new ILM policy.
  • It creates a policy with the name.
  • It creates a new index (I removed the old one, training demo environment)
  • But it applies the wrong policy which leads to illegal_argument_exception: policy [metricbeat-7.1.1] does not exist error message in Kibana

So I used:

setup.template.settings.index.lifecycle.name: "metricbeat"                                                                                                  
setup.ilm.policy_name: "metricbeat"

but it still gives the same error in Kibana, despite Metricbeat having overrode the index template as I told it to:

2019-05-29T15:31:17.736+0200    INFO    template/load.go:84     Existing template will be overwritten, as overwrite is enabled.

Is that a bug?

What is the reasoning behind cluttering Elasticsearch with one ILM policy per beat version? Is this complexity really required?

No feedback about this?

This topic was automatically closed 28 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.