Ilm rollover error on datastream index

I one index of a datastream showing an ILM error:

java.lang.IllegalStateException: no rollover info found for [.ds-sec-events-2023.08.12-000015] with rollover target [sec-events], the index has not yet rolled over with that target
	at org.elasticsearch.xpack.core.ilm.UpdateRolloverLifecycleDateStep.performAction(UpdateRolloverLifecycleDateStep.java:62)
	at org.elasticsearch.xpack.ilm.ExecuteStepsUpdateTask.doExecute(ExecuteStepsUpdateTask.java:112)
	at org.elasticsearch.xpack.ilm.IndexLifecycleClusterStateUpdateTask.execute(IndexLifecycleClusterStateUpdateTask.java:46)
	at org.elasticsearch.xpack.ilm.IndexLifecycleRunner.lambda$static$0(IndexLifecycleRunner.java:64)
	at org.elasticsearch.cluster.service.MasterService.executeTasks(MasterService.java:840)
	at org.elasticsearch.cluster.service.MasterService.calculateTaskOutputs(MasterService.java:407)
	at org.elasticsearch.cluster.service.MasterService.runTasks(MasterService.java:243)
	at org.elasticsearch.cluster.service.MasterService.access$100(MasterService.java:63)
	at org.elasticsearch.cluster.service.MasterService$Batcher.run(MasterService.java:170)
	at org.elasticsearch.cluster.service.TaskBatcher.runIfNotProcessed(TaskBatcher.java:146)
	at org.elasticsearch.cluster.service.TaskBatcher$BatchedTask.run(TaskBatcher.java:202)
	at org.elasticsearch.common.util.concurrent.ThreadContext$ContextPreservingRunnable.run(ThreadContext.java:718)
	at org.elasticsearch.common.util.concurrent.PrioritizedEsThreadPoolExecutor$TieBreakingPrioritizedRunnable.runAndClean(PrioritizedEsThreadPoolExecutor.java:262)
	at org.elasticsearch.common.util.concurrent.PrioritizedEsThreadPoolExecutor$TieBreakingPrioritizedRunnable.run(PrioritizedEsThreadPoolExecutor.java:225)
	at java.base/java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor.runWorker(ThreadPoolExecutor.java:1144)
	at java.base/java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor$Worker.run(ThreadPoolExecutor.java:642)
	at java.base/java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:1623)

when I try to use _ilm/explain it get:

rful011@secesprd01:~$ curl -s --noproxy \* -u elastic  -XGET 'https://secesprd02.its.auckland.ac.nz:9200/.ds-sec-events-2023.08.12-000015/_iml/explain' 
Enter host password for user 'elastic':
{"_index":".ds-sec-events-2023.08.12-000015","_type":"_iml","_id":"explain","found":false}

which I assume means it can't find the index ?? Is it because it is a backing index for a datastream?

what is weird is that the data stream appears to have rolled over and other indexes have been generated:
Screenshot 2023-11-01 at 11.25.53 AM

something clearly came unstuck -- we had issues with the cluster back then.

the index is still "hot" and 000016 is now cold.

Typo

_ilm

Thanks! sigh... I am hopeless at spotting typos!

OK the _ilm/explain returned the error message above along with the general information about the index.

I think the fundamental problem here is I lost one shard of this index when it was the head of the data datastream . To recover it I had to delete it forcing the datasteam to start a new head, then restored the the index from backup and linked it back into the datastream (with help from this forum -- probably @stephenb : ).

I suspect this left the index as an orphan as far as the ilm process is concerned.

Any thoughts on how to correct this? Does it matter?

This topic was automatically closed 28 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.