Impact of schema fields limit on performance

Hi there,

I'm currently using App Search with search-ui react library.

I was wondering about the search performance impact of increasing the schema fields limit (for ex. 70 vs 100 fields -- only 10 fields are used for relevance tuning in both cases). Will there be a noticeable difference in search response times or will it be negligible if I maintain the same fields for relevance tuning?

Thanks!

Thanks for your question!

Do you mean that you're only searching over 10 fields, and returning an additional 30, or that you search over 70-100 fields but only 10 have a specific relevance tuning?

If it's the first case, the performance impact should be negligible.

If it's the latter, it will really depend. Here are a few things that can impact performance:

• The shape of the data (e.g. the size of the fields and values)
  • What sort of search you're performing (e.g. if you're faceting over some high-cardinality fields)
  • The type of response you want (e.g. if you want highlighting enabled for all those fields) – relevance settings should help here.

But ultimately the best way to check would be to just try it out!

Hope that helps – please let us know if you have any follow up questions.

Nick

1 Like

Thanks for your response Nick!

I was referring to the "app_search.engine.total_fields.limit" setting, let me see if I can break it down:

Scenario 1:
100 fields (stored but not searched)
10 fields searched and used for relevance tuning
5 fields returned

Scenario 2:
800 fields (stored but not searched)
10 fields searched and used for relevance tuning
5 fields returned

I think the performance be about the same since I'm searching over the same amount of fields?

I'll try it out! Thanks for the tips, I'll keep them in mind :+1:

This topic was automatically closed 28 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.