Importing Dashboard via CURL fails with 500 error

On my old dev stack I used the beats setup feature to install the example dashboards. That ended up with a bunch I will never use. So now that I'm building an actual test stack, I want to pick and choose which dashboards I import.

I started with this on: https://github.com/elastic/beats/blob/v7.6.2/metricbeat/module/system/_meta/kibana/7/dashboard/Metricbeat-host-overview.json

I found the docs on how to import and tried it out.

The response:

{"statusCode":500,"error":"Internal Server Error","message":"An internal server error occurred"}

In Kibana's logs:

testelk01_kibana | {"type":"error","@timestamp":"2020-04-29T11:17:53-07:00","tags":[],"pid":6,"level":"error","error":{"message":"Failure attempting to migrate saved object 'Network Traffic (Packets) [Metricbeat System] ECS' - SyntaxError: Unexpected token o in JSON at position 1","name":"Error","stack":"Error: Failure attempting to migrate saved object 'Network Traffic (Packets) [Metricbeat System] ECS' - SyntaxError: Unexpected token o in JSON at position 1\n    at 7.0.0 (/usr/share/kibana/src/legacy/core_plugins/kibana/migrations/migrations.js:605:15)\n    at tryTransformDoc (/usr/share/kibana/src/core/server/saved_objects/migrations/core/document_migrator.js:213:22)\n    at migrateProp (/usr/share/kibana/src/core/server/saved_objects/migrations/core/document_migrator.js:270:11)\n    at applyMigrations (/usr/share/kibana/src/core/server/saved_objects/migrations/core/document_migrator.js:172:11)\n    at DocumentMigrator.transformAndValidate [as transformDoc] (/usr/share/kibana/src/core/server/saved_objects/migrations/core/document_migrator.js:151:43)\n    at DocumentMigrator.doc [as migrate] (/usr/share/kibana/src/core/server/saved_objects/migrations/core/document_migrator.js:47:19)\n    at KibanaMigrator.migrateDocument (/usr/share/kibana/src/core/server/saved_objects/migrations/kibana/kibana_migrator.js:139:34)\n    at objects.map.object (/usr/share/kibana/src/core/server/saved_objects/service/lib/repository.js:233:74)\n    at Array.map (<anonymous>)\n    at SavedObjectsRepository.bulkCreate (/usr/share/kibana/src/core/server/saved_objects/service/lib/repository.js:217:37)\n    at SavedObjectsClient.bulkCreate (/usr/share/kibana/src/core/server/saved_objects/service/saved_objects_client.js:46:35)\n    at EncryptedSavedObjectsClientWrapper.bulkCreate (/usr/share/kibana/x-pack/plugins/encrypted_saved_objects/server/saved_objects/encrypted_saved_objects_client_wrapper.js:80:89)\n    at process._tickCallback (internal/process/next_tick.js:68:7)"},"url":{"protocol":null,"slashes":null,"auth":null,"host":null,"port":null,"hostname":null,"hash":null,"search":null,"query":{},"pathname":"/api/kibana/dashboards/import","path":"/api/kibana/dashboards/import","href":"/api/kibana/dashboards/import"},"message":"Failure attempting to migrate saved object 'Network Traffic (Packets) [Metricbeat System] ECS' - SyntaxError: Unexpected token o in JSON at position 1"}

Since I didn't anything like it in the documentation example, I removed this from the end of the dashboard json:

"version": "6.0.0-rc1-SNAPSHOT"

Still ended up with the same error.

My curl command, ran on the same server as Kibana. Removed the dashboard json due to Discourse character limits.

curl -X POST "http://adminusername:password@localhost:5601/api/kibana/dashboards/import" -H 'kbn-xsrf: true' -H 'Content-Type: application/json' -d'
< json of the dashboard, modified as I mentioned above >
'

What am I missing?

Is there a UI option for importing that I just haven't found?

Thanks.

Please follow the steps in our documentation to install the dashboard using Metricbeat itself.

That isn't what I want to do. I only want to install the specific dashboards I will use. Using beats setup will not do that.

I could just push them all in, then figure out how to delete the ones I don't use.

I'd still like to figure out how to push via the import api, especially if I find non-Elastic created dashboards to import. :slight_smile:

The files cannot imported as-is, as they're pre-processed by Metricbeat.

This is the procedure which works and it's the "official" one:

1. Grab Metricbeat 7.6.2
  2. Go to the kibana/7/dashboard directory
  3. Move all the files of the dashboards you do not want in a sub directory
  4. Run, depending on your OS, the following command:
   ./metricbeat setup --dashboards \
-E 'setup.dashboards.enabled=true' \
-E 'setup.kibana.host=https://<kibana host>:<kibana port>' \
-E 'setup.kibana.username=elastic' \
-E 'setup.kibana.password=<password>' \
-E 'output.elasticsearch.enabled=false' \
-E 'output.console.enabled=true'

You can pass other parameters (see here and here)

The command you're using is correct, but it seems the dashboards we have bundled with Beats are pre-processed by the Beat binary.

To import:

curl -s -XPOST https://<kibana:port>/api/kibana/dashboards/import -d "@dashboard.json" -u elastic:password -Hkbn-xsrf:true -Hcontent-type:application/json

To export:

curl -s https://<kibana:port>/api/kibana/dashboards/export?dashboard=<dashboard-id> -u elastic:password -o dashboard.json

Ah. Well, so much for my idea of picking and choosing...

Thanks. I'll do it the official way.

This topic was automatically closed 28 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.