Improve Elastic Cluster Performance/Indexing Rate

Hi,

i'm asking this probably for the second time as most resources out there are identical and I need some more answers/help to determine the proper way of improving my ES cluster performance.

We are using ES 5.4.0 and our cluster consist of client nodes, master nodes and 4 data nodes.
Also, 2 LS instances are streaming log events to ES.

My issues/questions are as follows:

1. I have done most of the suggested options to increase performance but don't seem to be able to go beyond primary indexing rate of 4k events/s, and this causes a back pressure on LS. LS without the ES output plugin can do about 10k/s, but with ES plugin output enabled it drops by 50% or more.

2. I changed the flush size and other settings on LS but still no big change.

3. I have monitored the ES queues and some of them are barely going beyond 35.

4. How much of a difference can replication set 0 make in such case ?

5. Does all my none data nodes need to be set to node.ingest = false ? does this affect performance if not set to false ?

6. Disks are not SSD is this a big factor in the indexing performance ?

7. Does setting index.merge.scheduler.max_thread_count: 1 in my case help ?

The only missing piece since I worked with ES is I dont understand is how i can easily achieve for example a 10k primary indexing rate, taking into account that CPU and RAM don't seem to be highly utilized.

Any help on this topic is appreciated as every time I think we got a good result we get back to this performance issue.

Thanks

Actually not sure if this is something related to how fast my ES nodes are writing, but today i looked at the disk i/o utilization and its pretty high at all times, 90% high !

So I'm wondering if I have multiple logical volumes mapped to different devices would that increase the speed of the ES i/o operation ? That way I can distribute multiple data paths on the ES data nodes, on multiple logical volumes.

This topic was automatically closed 28 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.