IN equivalent operator in painless inline scripts

I want to achieve the equivalent of the following SQL query using inline scripts of ES (painless language) :
where userId in (1, 2, 3) ----> Here userId is a long field

I tried with the following :
POST ride/ride/_search
{
"query": {
"bool": {
"filter": [
{
"script": {
"source": "doc['userId'].value in [1, 2, 3]"
}
}
}
]
}
}
}

but saw an error :
"caused_by": {
"type": "script_exception",
"reason": "compile error",
"script_stack": [
"doc['userId'].value in [1, 2, 3]",
" ^---- HERE"
],
"script": "doc['userId'].value in [1, 2, 3]",
"lang": "painless",
"type": "illegal_argument_exception",
"reason": "invalid sequence of tokens near ['in'].",
"type": "no_viable_alt_exception",
"reason": null
}
}
}

Is there a way to achieve this using inline scripts? I know that this can be achieved using terms, but I am looking for a way to add this as part of another inline script query.

Thanks in advance.

Regards,
Shobhana

Why using a script for this?

I want to include this as a sub-query in another script which has several other conditions which I could not model without using the scripts. Some distinct part of the existing inline query is shown below :

{
  "query": {
    "bool": {
      "filter": [
        {
          "range": {
            "startTime": {
              "lt": "Sep 24, 2018 1:05:04 PM"
            }
          }
        },
        {
          "range": {
            "expectedEndTime": {
              "gt": "Sep 24, 2018 12:12:04 PM"
            }
          }
        },
        {
              "source": "(doc['status'].value == 'Scheduled' || doc['status'].value == 'Started' || doc['status'].value == 'Delayed') && doc['distance'].value >= params.minDistance && doc['startPoint'].arcDistance(params.fromLat, params.fromLon) <= (doc['distance'].value >= params.rideDistance ? doc['distance'].value : params.rideDistance) * 1000",
              "params": {
                "toLat": 12.983942,
                "minDistance": 14.8253,
                "fromLon": 77.621174,
                "toLon": 77.477552,
                "fromLat": 13.044056,
                "maxDistance": 36.9432,
                "rideDistance": 20.3
              }
            }
          }
        }
      ]
    }
  }
} 

I want to include the query mentioned in my original question to the inline script mentioned above.

Scripts run per document, and can not be used to run sub-queries.

Pardon my use of the word "sub-query" .. I just intended to say that I want to include the IN criteria as another condition in the existing script :

"source": "(doc['status'].value == 'Scheduled' || doc['status'].value == 'Started' || doc['status'].value == 'Delayed') && ( doc['userId].value IN [params.userIdList] || (doc['distance'].value >= params.minDistance && doc['startPoint'].arcDistance(params.fromLat, params.fromLon) <= (doc['distance'].value >= params.rideDistance ? doc['distance'].value : params.rideDistance) * 1000))"

Would it not be easier, and possibly more performant, to do so using a terms query?

To be honest, I tried a lot writing a terms query first, but I couldn't figure out how to design my query to match the above. Later I found inline scripts section and prepared a query to match the above constraints. I couldn't identify how to mix && and|| together and also include max(field1, constant1) in the same query!

Is it possible to use IN operator in scripts?

This topic was automatically closed 28 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.