Incomplete/duplicated trace in transaction

Kibana version: 7.16.3

Elasticsearch version: 7.16.3

APM Server version: 7.16.3

APM Agent language and version: java 1.29.0

Browser version: irrelevant

Original install method (e.g. download page, yum, deb, from source, etc.) and version: ECK 1.9.1

Fresh install or upgraded from other version? fresh

Is there anything special in your setup?

1. I created a cluster in azure using aks and installed everything using the ECK operator 1.9.1, default operator configuration.
  2. I am using 2 elastic master nodes with only the master role and 2 data nodes with data, transform and ingest roles
  3. Installed certmanager 1.7.0 in the cluster for tls certificate using lets encrypt
  4. Installed istio for the ingress gateway
  5. http.tls.selfSignedCertificate.disabled=true for apmserver, Elasticsearch and kibana
  6. exposed all 3 services via a https url (all working fine)
  7. java agent is in another cluster (application cluster) and looks fine, installed using init-container following this tutorial

Description of the problem including expected versus actual behavior. Please include screenshots (if relevant):

There are missing and duplicated traces in the requests when the request is too slow. For example, the following image (full_request), shows a fast and complete transaction with all traces (db queries)

You can see the total time is 100ms, which is fine. But every time I have to analyze a slow request I see duplicated or sometimes triplicated traces, and there is always some missing queries and/or requests, as the image below shows

As you can see, in the fast request we got 17 different traces (queries), which I double checked in the backend and it is exactly what happens, but in the slow request we have only 8 requests (queries) with some duplicated.

So the expected result if for the slow request to have a transaction with 17 different queries, but it has only 8 with some duplicated.

ps1: In both images is the exactly same request, just a GET https://my_endpoint/static_link
ps2: the first image was cut and it is not showing the last 2 queries, but they are there. (this editing thing is not one of my strengths)

Steps to reproduce: could not reproduce in an "agnostic" environment

Any idea how I could find what is the problem?

Appreciate your attention!

Please share the complete setup you use for your Java agent (like your agent-related k8s manifest or central agent configuration through Kibana).
Also, do you have some manual instrumentation going on? Do you use our public API? OpenTracing?
Anything else you can share about your agent setup?
If you try an older agent version, say 1.26.0, does it look the same?
Lastly, if you set ELASTIC_APM_LOG_LEVEL to DEBUG - can you find something interesting when comparing proper trace and improper trace?

1 Like

It seems that I solved it. As most often than not, it was a dumb mistake by me.

I was following what you said and noticed some gaps, I checked out my apmserver deployment and it was restarted around 450 times over 8 days (OOM killed). I increased the memory limit and added another pod for backup.

So far I have around 6 hours running with this new configuration, 0 restarts and all traces I checked are complete.

Appreciate your attention.

This topic was automatically closed 20 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.