I am trying out the snapshot/restore feature in ES. I did the following
(1) Registered one of my local directory as repo
(2) Took snapshot of indexed data using command PUT /_snapshot/repo1/snapshot1
(3) Made modifications and re-indexed my original data
(4) Took another snapshot PUT /_snapshot/repo1/snapshot2
(5) (a) Deleted my index that had all the data. restored snap2 -
(b) Deleted my index that had all the data. Deleted snap 1. Restored snap2 -
If i understood it right , snap2 is by default , an incremental snapshot. Both for 5 (a) and 5 (b) i see all my data as expected. My question here is ,
Should restoring snap2 not just restore the delta it is aware of and how is it able to restore all data ? Even when i had deleted snap1 how was it able to recover all files ? Could someone explain the incremental concept better ?
Kindly help ...
Thanks in advance !!