Index Lifecycle Management (ILM) based on a document field

Hello, I would like to know if there is any way to partition and index based on a field of documents within it. I don't want to use the index size (like "max_size"), nor the index time (like "max_age") and nor max number of documents within the index. What I need is partitioning the index according to the values in a field of a mapping. For example, I have an index mapping like this:

{
"mappings": {
"_doc": {
"properties": {
"AccountId": {
"type": "text",
"fields": {
"keyword": {
"type": "keyword",
"ignore_above": 256
}
}
},
"AccountServicePointId": {
"type": "long"
},
"ActivityDate": { <────────────────────────────────────
"type": "date"
}, . . . . and more

What I would like to achieve is to create an ILM policy (or other automatic procedure) which let me create partitioned indexes based on the field "ActivityDate" taken from the mapping. The result should be something like this:

index-000001 (January 2021 docs according to ActivityDate field)
index-000002 (February 2021 docs according to ActivityDate field)
index-000003 (March 2021 docs according to ActivityDate field)
index-000004 (April 2021 docs according to ActivityDate field)
index-000012 (December 2021 docs according to ActivityDate field)

Is this possible ?.

No, that's not possible with ILM. You'd need to manage this yourself.

This is basically what you do when you create indices with a date pattern, e.g. YYYYMM, in the index name based on a specific date field. This is how all time-based indices were created before rollover was introduced. This is however incompatible with rollover but you should still be able to use ILM to manage retention even if rollover is not used. Logstash supports creating indices this way but does this based on the @timestamp field so you may need to copy your datetime field over.

Yeah this occurred to me as a work around as well.

Thank you Christian and Warkolm for your answers, but in this case I'm not using Logstash, I'm currently using the node.js "@elastic/elasticsearch" library to insert new documents in ES indexes. According to the previous comments, I deduce that it is not possible to implement an automatic partition of the index using as a reference the values of a field taken from the mapping (like ActivityDate in my example). I understand the best approach using the node.js library to interact with ES is to manage by myself the partition process using a reindex by query or something similar to:

Let me know if I'm wrong or exists a better approach. Thank you!.

This topic was automatically closed 28 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.