Index naming question

I'm about to install an ELK stack for system logs. One of the systems I will stash events from is our VMware ESX farm, via syslog from ESX servers to VCenter server and then via Filebeat on the VCenter server to Logstash. The logs are in syslog style but does not follow the standard so I have to filter and format them in my Logstash pipeline.

I have a problem deciding if I should keep allt logs from all Filebeat shippers in the same index naming context or if I should use different index names for every log format? I'm leaning towards using system specific index names as the log formats will differ, but don't have enough experience to make an educated decision.

i.e. Should I use the default filebeat naming "filebeat-%{[@metadata][version]}-%{+YYYY.MM.dd}" and add a tag named "esx-servers" for easy filtering or should I use my own VMware ESX specific naming like "vmware-esx-%{[@metadata][version]}-%{+YYYY.MM.dd}" or something else?

What is best practise and pros/cons?

It's better to keep the default index names. So you can benefit from many things like the LogsUI in Kibana, ...

My 2 cents.

1 Like

I agree with @dadoonet.

If you're new to the ELK keep it simple to start and get an understanding of the size of the indices you'll be producing. Then I'd suggest start working with Index Management and Index Lifecycle Policies.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 28 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.