Index not found right after creation

Elasticsearch version: 6.4.3

Our cluster has a large number of indexes (~300-400) and we occasionally create about 20 indexes at once. Most of the time everything works perfectly. However, sometimes we are experiencing the following sequence of events:

1. Index my_index is created
  2. HEAD /my_index returns 200
  3. Any attempt to index an object to the index fails with a 404 (as does a call like GET /my_index/_settings

We've implemented some exponential backoff logic to wait some amount of time between steps 2 and 3 and it seems to help mitigate the problem, but doesn't eliminate the problem completely. We also make some cluster health calls with wait_for_status=green to really make sure the cluster is in good shape before proceeding.

• Is this a known issue with ES that happens when there are large numbers of indexes?
  • Is there any setting or call we can make to help avoid this issue? I find it particularly strange that the HEAD call returns 200 but subsequent calls fail.

Thanks for any help!

How many shards do these indices have? How large is your cluster?

2 shards per index, running on two nodes, each 16GB. Memory pressure doesn't really get out of control and disk usage is low too.

This topic was automatically closed 28 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.