Ingest strategy

Hi there, as a (broader) follow up on this topic, I am creating this new one about ingest strategy, as I am utterly running out of ideas.

My use case has many client machines, each logging various metrics (pretty common I believe). I need:

1. easy enrollment for new client machines
  2. secure ingest (not open to anyone knowing the IP/port)
  3. metric-specific type mapping, to be able to use said metrics in Kibana dashboards

I have tried making use of the "custom TCP log"+"elastic agent" integration, which ticked boxes 1 and 2 I believe, but:

• everything gets ingested on a single data stream
  • I have not been able to achieve dynamic type mapping depending on message content in any way (I have a special name field indicating the metric type in the payload). I tried using a custom ingest pipeline on the Custom TCP log policy, to rename the meta field _index to a metric specific one => failed due to lack of permissions for the fleet agent user (even when prepending the target index name with logs-).

My specific questions are:

1. Did I make a wrong choice straight from the start (mis)using the "Custom TCP log" policy?
  2. Can someone please describe an ingest strategy that fits this use case?

Thanks in advance

This topic was automatically closed 28 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.