Internal Server Error on JVM instance metrics

Kibana version: 7.6.0

Elasticsearch version: 7.6.0

APM Server version: 7.6.0

APM Agent language and version: Java 1.12-1

Browser version: Chrome 80.0.3987.149

Original install method (e.g. download page, yum, deb, from source, etc.) and version: Kibana from Elastic Cloud, Java agent from Maven, APM-server via .deb

Fresh install or upgraded from other version? Upgrade from 7.4.0

Is there anything special in your setup? -

Description of the problem including expected versus actual behavior: When opening the JVM instance metrics for any of our JAVA services, an error pops-up with: Error while fetching resource. Error: Internal Server Error (500). The page does seem to load fine. But I see that the backend-call to /metadata is failing with response:

{"statusCode":500,"error":"Internal Server Error","message":"An internal server error occurred."}

Steps to reproduce:

1. Open APM in Kibana
  2. Select a JAVA service
  3. Click on JVMs
  4. Select a JVM instance

Errors in browser console (if relevant): GET https://our.domain/api/apm/services/java-service/node/node-01/metadata?start=2020-03-24T14%3A15%3A10.008Z&end=2020-03-25T14%3A15%3A10.009Z&uiFilters={} 500 (Internal Server Error)

Provide logs and/or server output (if relevant): Not available unfortunately. Kibana is running from Elastic Cloud.

1 Like

Hi @Harm, this could be the result of a bug we had in 7.6 and which will be fixed in 7.7. We display some metadata (host.hostname and container.id) above the charts. If there are no documents that have (both) these fields set, the request for the metadata will fail. Does that sound like it applies to your data?

@dgieselaar, thanks for your reply. The field container.id isn't set in any of our documents. If I understand you correctly that will cause this error to appear? If so, I'll patiently wait for the 7.7 release.. :slight_smile:

Yep, that's correct! It's probably a little annoying to have it pop up, but everything else should work correctly. Let me know if you still see issues after upgrading to 7.7 (when it comes out).

@Harm Need to correct myself here, the fix was also backported to 7.6.1., so you should be able to use that version as well.

Hi @dgieselaar. thanks for the update. I just upgraded to 7.6.1 and it got fixed indeed. :slight_smile:

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 20 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.