Invalid snapshot name, snapshot with the same name already exists

Hello
I have an index in my cluster with datas. The datas are shipped from logstatsh with this configuration

index => "%{[@metadata][beat]}-%{[@metadata][version]}-%{+YYYY.MM}"

So the index is named with the year and the month, and every hours, this index is updated with new datas. But I want an index per month.

I want to backup this index every day and it's not working because I have this error :

2021-12-20 18:59:12,874 ERROR Failed to complete action: snapshot. <class 'curator.exceptions.FailedExecution'>: Exception encountered. Rerun with loglevel DEBUG and/or check Elasticsearch logs for more information. Exception: RequestError(400, 'invalid_snapshot_name_exception', '[snapshot_XXX:snapshot_index_2021.12] Invalid snapshot name [snapshot_index_filebeat_2021.12], snapshot with the same name already exists')

Is it possible to "update" the snapshot with the datas of the day ? I mean, add datas to an index already present.

Or I have to delete the snapshot and do a new snapshot of the index ?

My version of elastic is 6.8.23. And the version of curator is 5.8.4.

Snapshot SLM policy setting may help you.
It could also be set by using kibana.

thank you but I don't have this version.

My version of elastic is 6.8.23. And the version of curator is 5.8.4. I have updated my post.

Oh, sorry for the version mismatch.
At the page linked below, he says all snapshots are incremental and no need to do anything special. SLM is not required, sorry.
When you create another snapshot, only differential documents will be stored. In my opinion, if you want to delete old snapshot, the order shoud be create and delete. the opposite order could be wasteful.

This topic was automatically closed 28 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.