Is it possible to create a dynamic, rolling interval within a date_histogram?

One of our current monitors, uses a date_histogram to break the last two days worth of data into buckets in hour intervals:

"aggs": {
"histo": {
"date_histogram": {
"field": "@timestamp",
"interval": "1h"
},

I think do a bucket_script on each of these intervals, and compute success rate. I can then do an extended stats bucket to generate the average/std deviation across these buckets to generate a baseline to compare my last bucket to.

The issue I'm having is in the way that ElasticSearch breaks down the intervals. Doing a 1 hour interval doesn't break the buckets into the last 60 minutes, instead, it is based off the buckets generated forward using the interval starting at like 1/1/1970 or something like that. What happens then is, when my alert runs at 1:05 pm, the last "last bucket" really only contains 5 minutes worth of data, which means I'm comparing a much lower volume, where 1 error has a drastic impact on the success rate.

Is there anyway to create dynamic rolling time intervals that are truly the last 60 minutes?

I know you can use offset, but I would need an offset that changes depending on when the script is ran.

I would need something like "offset" : "now - (60 - (now().min))". (Just made up that syntax, but I'm sure you get my point, where now().min returns the minutes past the current hour. So that at 1:05, the offset moves back 55 minutes, and the the last "hour" bucket is actually from 12:05 -> 1:05 giving a true hour's worth of data.

Is this possible with an inline script? Can I use a script to create a parameter/variable and shove that into offset dynamically?

Still havn't figured this one out. Anyone able to do something similar?

Hey,

would the offset parameter in the date histogram aggregation work for you?

--Alex

This topic was automatically closed 28 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.