Is it possible to define a node Hot and warm?

Hello
On my company we have 3 data nodes connected on a master node
I need to define a lifecycle policy
But to do so I need to define which node is hot, warm, and cold
my question: can I define a node with several types? hot And warm?

Thank you

It doesn't make sense to have a node that is both hot and warm. What's your reasoning behind wanting to do that?

Hello @Kwiskas

The Index Lifecycle Policy phases do not require hot, warm and cold zones in the cluster (documentation).

The phases are more linked to the lifecycle of the index.

It is possible to force the allocation / migration of the indices to a specific group of nodes when the index lifecycle reaches a specific phase using the allocate action, but it is optional.

The phases have a fixed order (hot ❯ warm ❯ cold ❯ delete) and the actions within each of them have a fixed order too (see this list) and they're optional.

Let us know if you have any doubt.

I just dont want to have only one node being actively used as other ones are not

Hello Luca
Thank you for your reply
My question comes from that when I try to define the index lifecycle policy on kibana, it gets me an error:
No node attributes configured in elasticsearch.yml

You can't control shard allocation without node attributes.

This is because i have not defined yet on my nodes which one is the hot and which one is the warm

what I wanted to know is can I define both of my 2 nodes as hot AND warm so I dont have to use only one actively and the other one not.

Hello @Kwiskas

The message:

No node attributes configured in elasticsearch.yml
You can't control shard allocation without node attributes.
Learn about shard allocation

Is just a warning. You can proceed further.

Oh. Thank you; I didn't knew it was a warning. This can be closed.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 28 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.