Issue running elastics/security track in esrally offline mode

Hi,

I am trying to run esrally in offline mode. I am successful in running the http_logs or geonames tracks in offline mode. However, I am facing issue when running the elastic/security or elastic/logs tracks in offline mode.

The command that I used to run elastic/security track:
esrally race --kill-running-processes --offline --pipeline benchmark-only --track=elastic/security --challenge security-indexing --target-hosts=192.168.105.116:9200 --client-options="use_ssl:true,verify_certs:true,ca_certs:'/home/administrator/ca.crt',basic_auth_user:'elastic',basic_auth_password:'xxxxx'"

I am receiving the below error:

[INFO] Race id is [2b29f580-d61c-4c25-8547-391a69c460e1]
[WARNING] Local changes in [/home/administrator/.rally/benchmarks/tracks/default] prevent tracks update from remote. Please commit your changes.
[INFO] Installing track dependencies [geneve==0.2.0, pyyaml]
[WARNING] Local changes in [/home/administrator/.rally/benchmarks/tracks/default] prevent tracks update from remote. Please commit your changes.

[ERROR] Cannot race. Traceback (most recent call last):
File "/home/administrator/.local/lib/python3.8/site-packages/esrally/actor.py", line 92, in guard
return f(self, msg, sender)
File "/home/administrator/.local/lib/python3.8/site-packages/esrally/driver/driver.py", line 539, in receiveMsg_WorkerIdle
self.transition_when_all_children_responded(sender, msg, self.Status.PROCESSOR_RUNNING, self.Status.PROCESSOR_COMPLETE, self.resume)
File "/home/administrator/.local/lib/python3.8/site-packages/esrally/actor.py", line 157, in transition_when_all_children_responded
transition()
File "/home/administrator/.local/lib/python3.8/site-packages/esrally/driver/driver.py", line 514, in resume
self._seed_tasks(self.processors.get())
File "/home/administrator/.local/lib/python3.8/site-packages/esrally/driver/driver.py", line 522, in _seed_tasks
self.tasks = list(WorkerTask(func, params) for func, params in processor.on_prepare_track(self.track, self.data_root_dir))
File "/home/administrator/.rally/benchmarks/tracks/default/elastic/shared/track_processors/data_generator.py", line 131, in on_prepare_track
prep.prepare_document_set(document_set, data_root)
File "/home/administrator/.local/lib/python3.8/site-packages/esrally/track/loader.py", line 620, in prepare_document_set
self.downloader.download(document_set.base_url, target_path, expected_size)
File "/home/administrator/.local/lib/python3.8/site-packages/esrally/track/loader.py", line 510, in download
raise exceptions.SystemSetupError(f"Cannot find [{target_path}]. Please disable offline mode and retry.")
esrally.exceptions.SystemSetupError: Cannot find [/home/administrator/.rally/benchmarks/data/elastic/security/auditbeat-security/macos-auditbeat.json.bz2]. Please disable offline mode and retry.

Can someone pls provide the guidance here.

Hi @Quentin_Pradet, do you see any additional steps to be done here?

this was the procedure followed to download elastic/security track

https://esrally.readthedocs.io/en/stable/offline.html

downloads the script from Github

curl -O https://raw.githubusercontent.com/elastic/rally-tracks/master/download.sh
chmod u+x download.sh

download all data for the elastic track

./download.sh elastic

Sorry, the elastic/logs, elastic/security and elastic/endpoint do not currently support offline mode. I'll update this issue when they do.

Thanks for the confirmation @Quentin_Pradet . Yes, I realised that those tracks are not working in offline mode.

Hence started working on fixing my certificate issue of online mode. I was able to figure out the temporary workaround (also updated in Max retries exceeded with url: /pmc/documents.json.bz2 SSLCertVerificationError [SSL: CERTIFICATE_VERIFY_FAILED] - #8 by Swathi_Kakumanu) for online mode. With that I am able to run security track in online mode.

1 Like

Thanks for reporting your success, it's really appreciated! And sorry for the lack of offline mode support in elastic/logs, it's a bug we'll have to fix.

This topic was automatically closed 28 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.