Issues during index where field is null after upgrade to 7.x

In previous versions of ES I have been able to send data in from SQL Server with fields that have null values. I know I needed to make some changes to the mapping to deal with the move from 5.x-6.x-7.x and I never had an issue sending in the data with fields with a null value till 7.x..
The error I am getting is

Sep 05, 2019 08:09:32 AM: Sep 05, 2019 08:09:32 AM> Batch #1 Error, throwing exception...
Sep 05, 2019 08:09:32 AM: Failed to create entry in eventlog: Log entry string is too long. A     string written to the event log cannot exceed 32766 characters.>   ERROR[sp_vDash_NewClientsPatients]: System.Exception: Invalid NEST response built from a successful (200) low level call on POST: /_bulk
# Invalid Bulk items:
operation[0]: index returned 400 _index: logstash-hvms-ncp-kema-2019 _type: _doc _id: 709de0c7-df76-436a-86a2-33849020f443 _version: 0 error: Type: mapper_parsing_exception Reason: "failed to parse field [patientprofession] of type [text] in document with id '709de0c7-df76-436a-86a2-33849020f443'. Preview of field's value: '{}'" CausedBy: "Type: illegal_state_exception Reason: "Can't get text on a START_OBJECT at 1:243""
operation[1]: index returned 400 _index: logstash-hvms-ncp-kema-2019 _type: _doc _id: 378e55bd-6861-4e63-9e37-36903ab000ca _version: 0 error: Type: mapper_parsing_exception Reason: "failed to parse field [patientprofession] of type [text] in document with id '378e55bd-6861-4e63-9e37-36903ab000ca'. Preview of field's value: '{}'" CausedBy: "Type: illegal_state_exception Reason: "Can't get text on a START_OBJECT at 1:227""

I know because my current index's that were created in 6.x have null for fields
"status": "Active",
"patientprofession": null,
"email": null,

I know there is a null_value option to replace a null with a string and I have tried it but it did't do any replacing of those null's in the source and still failed to index with the same error. But I still would really like to get my data since the update to 7.x to continue to accept the null.

My mapping template
PUT _template/hvmsncp
{
"index_patterns" : "logstash-hvms-ncp-",
"version" : 60001,
"settings" : {
"index.refresh_interval" : "5s"
},
"mappings": {
"dynamic_templates" : [
{"message_field" :
{"path_match" : "message","match_mapping_type" : "string",
"mapping" : {"norms" : false,"type" : "text"}
}
},
{
"string_fields" : {"match" : "
","match_mapping_type" : "string",
"mapping" : {
"fields" : {"keyword" : {"type" : "keyword"}},"norms" : false,"type" : "text"}
}
}
],
"properties": {
"@timestamp": {"type": "date"},
"patientprofession": {"type": "text","fields": {"keyword": { "type": "keyword"}}},
}
}
}

Thank you for your help.

Anyone have a mapping solution to dealing with null values? I

Using in your properties:

"patientprofession": {
   "type": "text",
   "null_value": "NULL"
}

Isn't working? https://www.elastic.co/guide/en/elasticsearch/reference/current/null-value.html

Are you using Elasticseach .NET to send your data into ES? I have tried the "null_value": "NULL" in my mappings with no success I still get the errors from Elasticsearch .NET trying to send in the data.

Also that only works for strings and I believe it adds the string "NULL" instead of null which I need to work for numeric and date values as well.

No, I'm not using .NET version. The "null_value" has to be of the same type as the original field and yes it just replaces 'null' with a string or for numbers you could use -1 or 0 or whatever, but it has to be the same type as the original field.

The errors do seem wrong, maybe there's an issue with it for that version.

This topic was automatically closed 28 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.