Issues processing text file with Logstash 2.4

I've got a text file (json) that I want to process and eventually pump into ElasticSearch. I first started with a more elaborate configuration file and have now scaled back to a simple config that uses stdin for input and just does a very simple output to stdout. Just let me see the file being read in and out, that's all.

running this:
cat /u01/app/elastic/soi_data/alert_details_soi.json | bin/logstash --debug -e 'input { stdin { } } output { stdout {} }'

Results in logstash saying the stdin and stdout plugins are not in the defined namespace.

Plugin not defined in namespace, checking for plugin file {:type=>"input", :name=>"stdin", :path=>"logstash/inputs/stdin", :level=>:debug, :file=>"logstash/plugin.rb", :line=>"86", :method=>"lookup"}
Plugin not defined in namespace, checking for plugin file {:type=>"codec", :name=>"line", :path=>"logstash/codecs/line", :level=>:debug, :file=>"logstash/plugin.rb", :line=>"86", :method=>"lookup"}
config LogStash::Codecs::Line/@charset = "UTF-8" {:level=>:debug, :file=>"logstash/config/mixin.rb", :line=>"154", :method=>"config_init"}
config LogStash::Codecs::Line/@delimiter = "\n" {:level=>:debug, :file=>"logstash/config/mixin.rb", :line=>"154", :method=>"config_init"}
config LogStash::Inputs::Stdin/@codec = <LogStash::Codecs::Line charset=>"UTF-8", delimiter=>"\n"> {:level=>:debug, :file=>"logstash/config/mixin.rb", :line=>"154", :method=>"config_init"}
config LogStash::Inputs::Stdin/@add_field = {} {:level=>:debug, :file=>"logstash/config/mixin.rb", :line=>"154", :method=>"config_init"}
Plugin not defined in namespace, checking for plugin file {:type=>"output", :name=>"stdout", :path=>"logstash/outputs/stdout", :level=>:debug, :file=>"logstash/plugin.rb", :line=>"86", :method=>"lookup"}
starting agent {:level=>:info, :file=>"logstash/agent.rb", :line=>"213", :method=>"execute"}
starting pipeline {:id=>"main", :level=>:info, :file=>"logstash/agent.rb", :line=>"487", :method=>"start_pipeline"}

Then is subsequently dies. Anyone seen this behavior?

Just to validate here's a listing of the file that is being fed in as input.

[introsvr@vaausmonapp400 logstash-2.4.0]$ ls -lh /u01/app/elastic/soi_data/alert_details_soi.json
-rw-r-----. 1 introsvr introsvr 1.6G Oct 18 14:52 /u01/app/elastic/soi_data/alert_details_soi.json
[introsvr@vaausmonapp400 logstash-2.4.0]$

ok, ends up it is something with the file because I just tried the same process using another file and it worked as expected...very interesting....and peculiar....