Issues related to elasticsearch authentication

I deployed elasticsearch into kubernetes cluster with 3 nodes, and the OS of each node is Oracle Linux 7.3. I started 3 elasticsearch instances (actually a POD in kubernetes cluster); one of them was elected as master node soon, and two other nodes could join the cluster successfully. But the issues were:
[Issue 1]. I saw the following log messages on either of the two non-master instances,

[2018-02-06T08:44:59,220][INFO ][o.e.x.m.e.l.LocalExporter] waiting for elected master node [{elasticsearch-1-default}{KSMtEBd6S1GB5f8pe1AXuw}{x1Q1gL--Rbif7wLkuTR1_w}{192.168.21.31}{192.168.21.31:9300}{ml.machine_memory=14439243776, ml.max_open_jobs=20, ml.enabled=true}] to setup local exporter [default_local] (does it have x-pack installed?)

[Issue 2]. On the master instance, there were always a couple of exceptions (including a NullPointerException) in the beginning,

[2018-02-06T08:44:56,449][ERROR][o.e.x.m.c.i.IndexStatsCollector] [elasticsearch-1-default] collector [index-stats] failed to collect data
org.elasticsearch.cluster.block.ClusterBlockException: blocked by: [SERVICE_UNAVAILABLE/1/state not recovered / initialized];
at org.elasticsearch.cluster.block.ClusterBlocks.globalBlockedException(ClusterBlocks.java:165) ~[elasticsearch-6.1.3.jar:6.1.3]
at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor$Worker.run(ThreadPoolExecutor.java:624) [?:1.8.0_161]
at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:748) [?:1.8.0_161]

[2018-02-06T08:44:56,547][ERROR][o.e.x.m.c.c.ClusterStatsCollector] [elasticsearch-1-default] collector [cluster_stats] failed to collect data
java.lang.NullPointerException: null
at org.elasticsearch.xpack.monitoring.collector.cluster.ClusterStatsCollector.doCollect(ClusterStatsCollector.java:119) ~[x-pack-6.1.3.jar:6.1.3]
at org.elasticsearch.xpack.monitoring.collector.Collector.collect(Collector.java:100) [x-pack-6.1.3.jar:6.1.3]
at org.elasticsearch.xpack.monitoring.MonitoringService$MonitoringExecution$1.doRun(MonitoringService.java:222) [x-pack-6.1.3.jar:6.1.3]
at org.elasticsearch.common.util.concurrent.AbstractRunnable.run(AbstractRunnable.java:37) [elasticsearch-6.1.3.jar:6.1.3]
at java.util.concurrent.Executors$RunnableAdapter.call(Executors.java:511) [?:1.8.0_161]
at java.util.concurrent.FutureTask.run(FutureTask.java:266) [?:1.8.0_161]
at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor$Worker.run(ThreadPoolExecutor.java:624) [?:1.8.0_161]
at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:748) [?:1.8.0_161]

But it seemed that Elasticsearch fixed the above "exceptions" automatically, because I saw the following log message,

[2018-02-06T08:45:04,561][INFO ][o.e.c.r.a.AllocationService] [elasticsearch-1-default] Cluster health status changed from [YELLOW] to [GREEN] (reason: [shards started [[.monitoring-es-6-2018.02.06][0]] ...]).

[Issue 3]. When I tried to query the elasticsearch using the following command "curl --user elastic:Changeme123 http://<servier_ip>:9200?pretty", I got the following response. Note that I configured the environment variable "ELASTIC_PASSWORD" with value "Changeme123".

{
  "error" : {
    "root_cause" : [
      {
        "type" : "security_exception",
        "reason" : "failed to authenticate user [elastic]",
        "header" : {
          "WWW-Authenticate" : "Basic realm=\"security\" charset=\"UTF-8\""
        }
      }
    ],
    "type" : "security_exception",
    "reason" : "failed to authenticate user [elastic]",
    "header" : {
      "WWW-Authenticate" : "Basic realm=\"security\" charset=\"UTF-8\""
    }
  },
  "status" : 401
}

The related information is as below...

[info 1] I built a custom image using the following Dockerfile,

FROM docker.elastic.co/elasticsearch/elasticsearch-platinum:6.1.3

WORKDIR /usr/share/elasticsearch

USER root

COPY custom-entrypoint bin/
COPY elasticsearch.yml config/
COPY log4j2.properties config/
COPY certs/elastic-certificates.p12 config/

RUN chown elasticsearch:elasticsearch config/elasticsearch.yml config/log4j2.properties config/elastic-certificates.p12 bin/custom-entrypoint && \
    chmod 0644 config/elastic-certificates.p12 && chmod 0750 bin/custom-entrypoint

CMD ["/bin/bash", "bin/custom-entrypoint"]

[info 2] The start script custom-entrypoint is as below,

#!/bin/bash
set -e
ulimit -n 65536
ulimit -u 4096
ulimit -l unlimited
su elasticsearch bin/elasticsearch ${1+"$@"}

[info 3] The configuration file elasticsearch.yml is as below,

cluster.name: "elasticsearch-${NAMESPACE}"
node.name: "${POD_NAME}-${NAMESPACE}"
network.host: ${POD_IP}
discovery.zen.ping.unicast.hosts: es-discovery-svc
discovery.zen.minimum_master_nodes: 2
bootstrap.memory_lock: true
gateway.recover_after_nodes: 2
gateway.expected_nodes: 3
gateway.recover_after_time: 5m
discovery.zen.fd.ping_interval: 1s
discovery.zen.fd.ping_timeout: 10s
discovery.zen.fd.ping_retries: 2
xpack.ssl.keystore.path: /usr/share/elasticsearch/config/elastic-certificates.p12
xpack.ssl.truststore.path: /usr/share/elasticsearch/config/elastic-certificates.p12
xpack.security.transport.ssl.enabled: true
xpack.security.transport.ssl.verification_mode: certificate

[Info 4] I generated the certificate per the following guide. All Elasticsearch instances share the same certificate.

Please let me know if you need any other inputs. Thanks.

Just to confirm, are you using X-Pack?

Thanks for the quick response. I think yes, because the base image which I used to create my custom image is docker.elastic.co/elasticsearch/elasticsearch-platinum:6.1.3.

And I configured certificate in the configuration file,
xpack.ssl.keystore.path: /usr/share/elasticsearch/config/elastic-certificates.p12
xpack.ssl.truststore.path: /usr/share/elasticsearch/config/elastic-certificates.p12
xpack.security.transport.ssl.enabled: true
xpack.security.transport.ssl.verification_mode: certificate

It turned out to be that the build-in users' password weren't set. It worked after setting all the built-in users' passwords using the tool bin/x-pack/setup-passwords.

I followed the example in the following page to configure a environment variable ELASTIC_PASSWORD, but it didn't work. What did I miss?
https://www.elastic.co/guide/en/elasticsearch/reference/6.1/configuring-tls-docker.html

It looks like you're using your own custom entry point - what does it do?

All the special docker handling (for env variables etc) in our official docker image is done within the entry point script - you either need to call it, or replicate its functionality.

My custom entry point script is as below,

#!/bin/bash
set -e
ulimit -n 65536
ulimit -u 4096
ulimit -l unlimited
su elasticsearch bin/elasticsearch ${1+"$@"}

Do you mean that all the env variables are processed in the default entry point, but it's replaced by my custom entry point, so setting ELASTIC_PASSWORD did not work?

Can you please point out the link of the offical Dockerfile?

I don't think it's a good way to configure the password for all build-in users using the tool setup-passwords manually, instead, I'd like to do it programmatically, do you any suggestions on this?

I just found the default entry point script,

This topic was automatically closed 28 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.