I've been getting "retrying failed action with response code: 403" can someone help me fix this?

I'm getting the following error
"retrying failed action with response code: 403 ({"type"=>"cluster_block_exception", "reason"=>"index [es_attorney] blocked by: [FORBIDDEN/12/index read-only / allow delete (api)];"})"
Can someone help me fix this ? I'm very sure I did not make the index read only.

You have a read-only index (or more?) in your cluster. This is usually caused by a full disk on one of the data nodes, which forces Elasticsearch into read-only "safety mode", blocking further writes to all indices that have one or more primary shards on that node.

You need to check your data nodes and make sure they've got sufficient disk space (typically 20% or more free space). If that is not the case you'll either have to erase data from the full server (typically large log files or temporary files) or add more disk.

When your data nodes have enough disk space you need to manually tell Elasticsearch to open the read-only indices for writing (i.e. indexing) again. You can do that with a command like this:

curl -XPUT "http://localhost:9200/my_readonly_index/_settings?pretty" -H "Content-Type: application/json" -d '{
    "index.blocks.read_only_allow_delete": false,
    "index.blocks.write": false
}'

Good luck!

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 28 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.