Java API - Not able to create more than 309 indices

I am experimenting with many indices being created on a (currently) single node cluster.

I have a simple Junit Test that creates indices (with different names of course) inside a for-loop.

CreateIndexResponse cr = this.client.admin().indices().create(new CreateIndexRequest(name)).actionGet();
this.logger.info("create index "+name+"acknowledged: "+cr.isAcknowledged());

The client is constructed like this (only once) and reused for every request

this.client = new PreBuiltTransportClient(settings).addTransportAddress(new InetSocketTransportAddress(new InetSocketAddress("localhost", port)));

My problem is that the whole test seems to hang up.

• there is no load anymore
  • nothing happening in my application log
  • nothing happening in elasticsearch log (last INFO is, that the previeous index has been created)

Am i doing something wrong? The number 309 surely is specific for my case but way more empty indices should be possible. I do not even get "Too many open files" or "Out of memory" errors.

Any help is appreciated!

The client should be started only once.

Thats what i do.

The client is constructed like this and reused for every request

Sidenote: Via curl i am able to easily create 100 indices with 1 document each.

for i in {0..1000}; do
  echo "PUT "$i
  curl -X PUT -H "Content-Type: application/json" -d '{"name":"Peter"}' http://localhost:9200/index-$i/document/1
done

Ha I see. I misread your post. Sorry.

Note that the curl loop is different than the java code you provided.

The curl equivalent should be:

for i in {0..1000}; do
  echo "PUT "$i
  curl -X PUT -H "Content-Type: application/json" http://localhost:9200/index-$i
done

Just wondering if this:

CreateIndexResponse cr = this.client.admin().indices().create(new CreateIndexRequest(name)).actionGet();

should be written:

CreateIndexResponse cr = this.client.admin().indices().create(new CreateIndexRequest(name)).get();

That said, I have not really ideas.

FWIW I don't believe that creating 1000 indices within a loop is something realistic though.
Creating 1000 docs within an index is more something I'd expect.

I mean, what problem are you trying to cover with that test?

(The curl loop is creating documents which leads to automatic index creation)

Index creation inside a for-loop is only a test.
What i want to do is to provide a different index for each application-instance (saas application)
and therefor wanted to test out how many instances a single server can handle.

(The curl loop is creating documents which leads to automatic index creation)

I know. But you are not testing the same thing. Which is important when you want to compare results.

What i want to do is to provide a different index for each application-instance (saas application) and therefor wanted to test out how many instances a single server can handle.

That's not the way you will find this number. It only makes sense if you put documents in your indices. I mean there is a limit per shard that you need to find, then you need to compute what is the number of shards you need for a single index.
Then you need to test how many loaded shards a single machine can hold.

May be this is something you can test using es-rally BTW? @danielmitterdorfer WDYT? Would that help?

(I'm sorry we moved a bit from the original question).

I know that simply creating empty indices is not realistic. Putting documents inside the indices even decreases the max number. I just simplified the test down to index creation in order to isolate the problem.
And there has to be a problem in how i use the Java API.
I do not even reach any memory ore file handle limits.

Puuh... i am really stuck here.

Hi,

I just ran the following against the latest master of Elasticsearch:

import org.elasticsearch.action.admin.indices.create.CreateIndexRequest;
import org.elasticsearch.action.admin.indices.create.CreateIndexResponse;
import org.elasticsearch.client.transport.TransportClient;
import org.elasticsearch.common.settings.Settings;
import org.elasticsearch.common.transport.TransportAddress;
import org.elasticsearch.transport.client.PreBuiltTransportClient;

import java.net.InetAddress;

public class TransportTester {
    public static void main(String[] args) throws Exception {
        Settings settings = Settings.builder()
            .put("cluster.name", "distribution_run").build();
        TransportClient client = new PreBuiltTransportClient(settings);
        client.addTransportAddress(new TransportAddress(InetAddress.getByName("localhost"), 9300));

for (int i = 0; i < 10000; i++) {
            String name = "idx-" + i;
            CreateIndexResponse cr = client.admin().indices().create(new CreateIndexRequest(name)).actionGet();
            System.out.println("Created " + cr.index());
        }
        client.close();
    }
}

(note: I had to add the "cluster.name" setting because I ran Elasticsearch via Gradle; this is not necessary in your case).

Although it started garbage collecting heavilly after ~ 600 indices it's still running fine and has created 900 indices so far (this configuration of Elasticsearch is started with just 512MB heap).

While I think it might be doable with some trickery, creating indices dynamically is not really something that is well supported in Rally at the moment.

@Phili: If you are not sure what's going on in the application you could take thread dumps (or attach jconsole or jvisualvm) to see what's happening.

Daniel

Hey @danielmitterdorfer, thank you very much for your effort!
I just tried a similar thing and had no problems creating a few hundreds indices too - even with some documents being indexed. (I ran my application-unit.test against a separately started elasticsearch)

Maybe the problem is the way my application "autostarts" elasticsearch.
(a detail i did not mention before)

On application startup (JEE application running on wildfly 10) an applicationScoped bean "SearchServerManager" starts a elasticsearch process in a configured path.

@ApplicationScoped
public class SearchServerManager {
    @PostConstruct
    public void init() {
        logger.info("Initializing...");
        this.logger.info("Starting search server");
        ProcessBuilder pb = new ProcessBuilder(this.preference.getElasticsearchPath() + "/bin/elasticsearch");
        this.logger.info("starting elasticsearch - " + pb.command());
        this.esProcess = pb.start();

Hi @Phili,

by itself I don't see anything wrong here. But the devil is in the details (as always :slight_smile: ).

Depending on your environment (OS, distribution) Elasticsearch might inherit some limit of the parent process (which is your application). For example we got bitten by systemd default limits for the maximum number of processes in our CI environment (see https://www.elastic.co/blog/we-are-out-of-memory-systemd-process-limits).

I am not saying that this is the cause here. The point I want to make is that doing it this way can be trappy. But maybe the article I linked to gives you some ideas on what to check what's going in your situation.

Daniel

I got it!

The problem was that i did not read the output of the process but it seems that i have to, even if i "throw it away".
I added the following:

ProcessBuilder pb = new ProcessBuilder(this.preference.getElasticsearchPath() + "/bin/elasticsearch");

// important output handling
pb.redirectErrorStream(true);
pb.redirectOutput(ProcessBuilder.Redirect.appendTo(new File("/dev/null")));

this.esProcess = pb.start();

After that change i had no problems creating 1000 of indices through my application and the elasticsearch java api.

Hi @Phili,

glad to hear that it works now. The devil is in the details... :wink:

Daniel

This topic was automatically closed 28 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.