Kibana 6.4.1: Cannot sort by term data aggregated by term

Hello.

I'm interested in two things with some logsthat should--but don't seem to--be straightforward:

1. Filtering data by day-of-week (i.e., Monday, Tuesday,...,Sunday or even just numbers 1-7). I understand this is more of an Elasticsearch/Lucene issue and I'll not pursue that in this email.

2. Histogram by day-of-week. Again, this is just mapping the timestamp/date back down to a day of the week. Reading around I discovered Kibana scripted fields in their Index Patterns area of the 'Management' tool. As I understand scripted fields, I can use them for aggregation but not for indexing (if I could, the first issue above would also be addressed readily).

Googling around I found this blog post that looked helpful:

https://blog.trifork.com/2017/09/04/kibana-histogram-on-day-of-week/

I made myself a scripted field called "day_of_week_opened" that looks like this (painless):

doc['open_time'].date.dayOfWeek

The scripted field is just an integer valued from 1 to 7 inclusive. This works fine, as one can see from this screenshot:

The days Monday(1) to Sunday (7) are presented in the correct order.

Now, suppose instead I would like a more human-friendly label--say abbreviation of the name of the day of the week...I made a scripted field called dayofweek that looks like this (again, painless):

doc['open_time'].date.dayOfWeek + " (" + ["", "Mon", "Tue", "Wed", "Thu", "Fri", "Sat", "Sun"][doc['open_time'].date.dayOfWeek] + ")"

Following the logic of the aforementioned blog post I tried aggregating the data by Terms and chose my new scripted field dayofweek as the Term. Here's a screenshot...

You might immediatly say "Wait! You chose order by count! That's what you've done wrong" Well, yes and no. I only chose this ordering because order by Term did not appear as an option.

Any thoughts on what I've done wrong, or have I revealed an undocumented feature?

Further info: I'm using kibana 6.4.1 on Chrome.

Thanks for any help/advice you might offer on this issue...

hi @SpaceMoose,

I'm surprised you don't see the option. You're right, it's a fairly common visualization.

Here is an example of a user doing a similar bar-chart:

Hi @thomasneirynk...thanks but the link you've pasted is the same one I consulted (and pasted in above) in the original post.

I'll check on Monday when I'm back in the office but I can't help but wonder whether this may be some kind of ELK version mismatch issue (I don't maintain the stack).

This topic was automatically closed 28 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.