Kibana 7.9.0: Configuring logger failed: { Error: EISDIR: illegal operation on a directory, read

Upgraded Kibana-full 7.8.1 to 7.9.0 using homebrew and elastic/tap/kibana-full. Afterwards when start kibana always get this error:

Configuring logger failed: { Error: EISDIR: illegal operation on a directory, read
FATAL Error: EISDIR: illegal operation on a directory, read

Happens with both kibana-full and kibana-oss.

How to fix?

3 Likes

I got the same error.

Error: EISDIR: illegal operation on a directory, read

when I try to start Kibana manually. This is the stack trace:

Configuring logger failed: { Error: EISDIR: illegal operation on a directory, read
    at Object.readSync (fs.js:498:3)
    at tryReadSync (fs.js:332:20)
    at readFileSync (fs.js:369:19)
    at Keystore.load (/usr/local/Cellar/kibana-full/7.9.0/libexec/src/legacy/server/keystore/keystore.js:70:45)
    at new Keystore (/usr/local/Cellar/kibana-full/7.9.0/libexec/src/legacy/server/keystore/keystore.js:29:10)
    at readKeystore (/usr/local/Cellar/kibana-full/7.9.0/libexec/src/cli/serve/read_keystore.js:33:20)
    at applyConfigOverrides (/usr/local/Cellar/kibana-full/7.9.0/libexec/src/cli/serve/serve.js:164:41)
    at applyConfigOverrides (/usr/local/Cellar/kibana-full/7.9.0/libexec/src/cli/serve/serve.js:223:42)
    at MapSubscriber.RawConfigService.config$.rawConfigFromFile$.pipe.rawConfig [as project] (/usr/local/Cellar/kibana-full/7.9.0/libexec/src/core/server/config/raw_config_service.js:39:16)
    at MapSubscriber._next (/usr/local/Cellar/kibana-full/7.9.0/libexec/node_modules/rxjs/internal/operators/map.js:49:35)
    at MapSubscriber.Subscriber.next (/usr/local/Cellar/kibana-full/7.9.0/libexec/node_modules/rxjs/internal/Subscriber.js:66:18)
    at ReplaySubject._subscribe (/usr/local/Cellar/kibana-full/7.9.0/libexec/node_modules/rxjs/internal/ReplaySubject.js:76:28)
    at ReplaySubject.Observable._trySubscribe (/usr/local/Cellar/kibana-full/7.9.0/libexec/node_modules/rxjs/internal/Observable.js:44:25)
    at ReplaySubject.Subject._trySubscribe (/usr/local/Cellar/kibana-full/7.9.0/libexec/node_modules/rxjs/internal/Subject.js:102:51)
    at ReplaySubject.Observable.subscribe (/usr/local/Cellar/kibana-full/7.9.0/libexec/node_modules/rxjs/internal/Observable.js:30:22)
    at MapOperator.call (/usr/local/Cellar/kibana-full/7.9.0/libexec/node_modules/rxjs/internal/operators/map.js:32:23) errno: -21, syscall: 'read', code: 'EISDIR' }

FATAL  Error: EISDIR: illegal operation on a directory, read

try commenting out path.data in kibana.yml

1 Like

Thanks! :smiley:

I have the same error while starting Kibana. Is there another workaround for this issue? I've set an external data path for Kibana for the ease of upgrade so commenting out path.data in kibana.yml is not an option for me.

Try linking the external data path to kibana/data.

My data is on another disk, so are the logs; and the links still work in 7.9.0

Ok, without path.data it works. Thanks!

Without path.data it works. At the failure point it's trying to read '/usr/local/var/lib/kibana/data' as the keystore filename but that's a directory name.

Seems to be related to this change in 7.9.0:

kibana.keystore moved from the data folder to the config folder

kibana.keystore has moved from the configured path.data folder to <root>/config for archive distributions and /etc/kibana for package distributions. If a pre-existing keystore exists in the data directory, that path will continue to be used.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 28 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.