Kibana dashboard works for elasticsearch but no for logstash

Hello guys, I'm new here.

At first I just wanted to use elasticsearch and filebeat to centralize my servers logs and integrate them on my icinga web.

I installed filebeat in the clients and configure them so send data directly to eleasticsearch on my server, it works fine, but I had some problems with the integration with icinga, I only can see the kernel logs, not all system logs, I checked the data on elastic and it was there.

just to try to make my life easier I installed kibana, and the dashboard shows all the data I wanted without problems.

just to test I installed logstash on my server and reconfigured the filebeat on the client to sent the data to logstash, and voila! the integration with icinga works perfect and show all the system logs, but now the kibana dashboard doesn't show any data.

I tried that logstash send the data to filebeat index, but the result are the same. and I really like to make it work properly.

so... long history short:

• if I use filebeat directly with eleasticsearch, kibana works perfectly.
  • if I use filebeat with logstash, icinga works perfectly but kibana dashboard doesn't work.

In any case I can see all the data in the kibana's discover panel

my logstash config.

input {
  beats {
    port => 5044
    ssl => true
    ssl_certificate => "/etc/pki/tls/certs/logstash.crt"
    ssl_key => "/etc/pki/tls/private/logstash.key"
  }
}

#############################################################
filter {
   grok {
        match => { "message" => "%{COMBINEDAPACHELOG}"}
    }
   geoip {
        source => "clientip"
    }
}

#############################################################

output {
  elasticsearch {
    hosts => ["http://MY_ELASTICSEARCH_IP:9200"]
    index => "%{[@metadata][beat]}-%{[@metadata][version]}-%{+YYYY.MM.dd}" 
   }
}

my elasticsearch config:

path.data: /var/lib/elasticsearch
path.logs: /var/log/elasticsearch
bootstrap.memory_lock: true
network.host: MY_ELASTICSEARCH_IP
http.port: 9200

the filebeat client's config.

filebeat.inputs:
- type: log
  enabled: true
  paths:
    - /var/log/*.log
filebeat.config.modules:
  path: ${path.config}/modules.d/*.yml
  reload.enabled: true
  reload.period: 10s
setup.template.settings:
  index.number_of_shards: 3
setup.dashboards.enabled: true
setup.kibana:
  host: "MY_KIBANA_IP:5601"
output.logstash:
  hosts: ["MY_LOGSTASH_IP:5044"]
  bulk_max_size: 1024
  index: filebeat
  certificate_authorities: ["/etc/pki/tls/certs/logstash.crt"]
  ssl.certificate: "/etc/pki/tls/certs/filebeats.crt"
  ssl.key: "/etc/pki/tls/private/filebeats.key"
processors:
  - add_host_metadata: ~
  - add_cloud_metadata: ~

any idea how to make the kibana dashboard works with the data from logstash?

thank you very much.

an update:

I deleted all the index-patterns and deleted all elastic data, I ran the filebeat (it popupates the dashboard and create the index-patterns)

then I check the index-patterns and I have 2 filebeat-* indexes (exactly the same name), in the discovery only one has data, I deleted the empty one and when I go to the dashboards I get the message.

"Could not locate that index-pattern (id: filebeat-*), [click here to re-create it](#/management/kibana/index)"

so, how is this possible? kibana dashobard is looking for and index with the exact same name but it's different?

another test, I installed metricbeat and it works fine against elasticsearc and logstash, data and dashboard works correctly.

but filebeat don't work for me.

Please see this documentation https://www.elastic.co/guide/en/logstash/current/logstash-config-for-filebeat-modules.html

ok, I will make a hole on the ground, jump inside it, and buried myself.

I read that several times, maybe I'm too tired to understand what I'm reading (english is not my language)

thank you very much, I tested the system config and it works perfectly.

I guess I can put all that filters together on my config right? (I'm collecting, system, apache, mysql, icinga, and pretty much every log I can)

Correct

This topic was automatically closed 28 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.