Kibana failed to start (after upgrade 7.4 > 7.16)


After updating my Elasticsearch nodes from 7.4 to 7.16, I followed the upgrade documentation and upgraded my Kibana node from 7.4 to 7.16 through rpm (rpm -Uvh kibana[...].rpm

The install process finished and everything seems ok
I have a warning for the creation of a /etc/kibana/kibana.yml.rpmsave file so I replaced the old kibana.yml with the .rpmsave one, carefully replacing each needed field with the right values (, elastic hosts, ...)

Then when I try to start the kibana service through systemctl start kibana, kibana starts and then fail (about 5-10s after).

The end of the kibana.log (logging.dest has been defined in the kibana.yml) shows this message.

{"type":"log","@timestamp":"2021-12-30T15:39:58+01:00","tags":["warning","config","deprecation"],"pid":19973,"message":"Users are automatically required to log in again after 30 days starting in 8.0. Override this value to change the timeout."}
{"type":"log","@timestamp":"2021-12-30T15:39:59+01:00","tags":["fatal","root"],"pid":19973,"message":"Error: Connection with id '' is already present\n    at ConnectionPool.addConnection (/usr/share/kibana/node_modules/@elastic/elasticsearch/lib/pool/BaseConnectionPool.js:109:13)\n    at /usr/share/kibana/node_modules/@elastic/elasticsearch/lib/pool/BaseConnectionPool.js:98:37\n    at Array.forEach (<anonymous>)\n    at ConnectionPool.addConnection (/usr/share/kibana/node_modules/@elastic/elasticsearch/lib/pool/BaseConnectionPool.js:98:19)\n    at new Client (/usr/share/kibana/node_modules/@elastic/elasticsearch/index.js:171:27)\n    at configureClient (/usr/share/kibana/src/core/server/elasticsearch/client/configure_client.js:46:18)\n    at new ClusterClient (/usr/share/kibana/src/core/server/elasticsearch/client/cluster_client.js:48:65)\n    at ElasticsearchService.createClusterClient (/usr/share/kibana/src/core/server/elasticsearch/elasticsearch_service.js:135:12)\n    at ElasticsearchService.setup (/usr/share/kibana/src/core/server/elasticsearch/elasticsearch_service.js:72:24)\n    at Server.setup (/usr/share/kibana/src/core/server/server.js:251:39)\n    at Root.setup (/usr/share/kibana/src/core/server/root/index.js:58:14)\n    at bootstrap (/usr/share/kibana/src/core/server/bootstrap.js:119:5)\n    at Command.<anonymous> (/usr/share/kibana/src/cli/serve/serve.js:229:5)"}

Can you help me ?

Thank you

Are you running Kibana on port 8082? Can you check which process is running on port 8082?

No I am not running Kibana on port 8082.
The listen.port is still 5601 for KIbana.

8082 stands for the listen port of my Elasticsearch (master) nodes (they are all on different hosts)
I tried to stop my 3 master nodes and restart them, but I got no more success.

Update of the Elasticsearch nodes is done and ok in version 7.16.
That's only when I updated Kibana the problem appeared.

If needed I put a diff of my original 7.4 "kibana.yml_bkp_..." vs the new "kibana.yml" issued from the 7.16 install.

[kibana]# diff kibana.yml_7.4 kibana.yml
> # Specifies the public URL at which Kibana is available for end users. If
> # `server.basePath` is configured this URL should end with the same basePath.
> #server.publicBaseUrl: ""
< #server.maxPayloadBytes: 1048576
> #server.maxPayload: 1048576
< # When this setting's value is true Kibana uses the hostname specified in the
< # setting. When the value of this setting is false, Kibana uses the hostname of the host
< # that connects to this Kibana instance.
< #elasticsearch.preserveHost: true
> # Kibana can also authenticate to Elasticsearch via "service account tokens".
> # If may use this token instead of a username/password.
> # elasticsearch.serviceAccountToken: "my_token"
< # These files validate that your Elasticsearch backend uses the same key files.
> # These files are used to verify the identity of Kibana to Elasticsearch and are required when
> # in Elasticsearch is set to required.
< # Time in milliseconds to wait for Elasticsearch at Kibana startup before retrying.
< #elasticsearch.startupTimeout: 5000
< #pid.file: /usr/share/kibana/
> #pid.file: /run/kibana/
< # Enables you specify a file where Kibana stores log output.
> # Enables you to specify a file where Kibana stores log output.
< #logging.silent: false
> logging.silent: false

Problem solved, sorry for bothering.

I tried to remove the "problematic" elastic host from kibana.yml file and then started the kibana node.
It went ok....
I then restarted all my nodes and re-add the last Elasticsearch node in the kibana.yml.
Kibana booted correctly.

Not sure of what was the problem, but no more problem now.

Thank you all for trying to help.

This topic was automatically closed 28 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.