Kibana Functional Testing for custom visualization

Hello,

I started working on ELK from last one month and i am a new born baby to this ELK world but its really interesting. :slight_smile:
In my organization, we receive lot of statistics information (For ex: server request information) which we convert them into Elastic Common Schema compliant JSON format and push into ElasticSearch node via REST adapter and then we visualize the same in Kibana. Currently we have developed one visualization graph in Kibana and in future we will be having more visualization and might create a new dashboard for the same.

So we thought of having Functional testing from Kibana side to test this visualization. For the same I did little investigation from Kibana documentation and the doc says we can achieve through FunctionalTestRunner.

Questions :

1. Does this FunctionalTestRunner tool can support custom Kibana Functional testing for our custom visualization ?
  2. If Yes, this FunctionalTestRunner plugin is part of Kibana release ? Because currently i am not able see under Kibana pacakage.
  3. If Yes, can you please share more guidance or directions on the same (like what is the starting point, how we can achieve, any more docs to look, etc..) ?
  4. Is there any alternative approach available for function testing of custom Kibana visualizations ?

Hey @karthikeyanajendran1, welcome to the discussion boards!

I'll answer your questions in order:

Does this FunctionalTestRunner tool can support custom Kibana Functional testing for our custom visualization ?

Yes, the FunctionalTestRunner ("FTR") is designed to support testing custom plugins, so long as your plugin lives inside Kibana's plugins directory, as the docs mention.

If Yes, this FunctionalTestRunner plugin is part of Kibana release ? Because currently i am not able see under Kibana pacakage.

No, the FTR is not distributed with the release. It is only available within the Kibana repository itself, so it's used only during development

Is there any alternative approach available for function testing of custom Kibana visualizations ?

If the FTR doesn't suit your needs, and you wish to test your plugin on a "live" instance, then you could setup your own test suite using Selenium for example, to control Kibana and verify that your plugin/visualization is functioning correctly.

thank you @Larry_Gregory !

Just to add that we are not adding any custom plugins, we intend to use the graphs that are released as part of Kibana core release and populate them with the data that we have on Elasticsearch.

Let's say that there is a bunch of server statistics that we push to elastic (as Karthik said), which looks like the below.

[ [server1, 20s, RUNNING ], [server2, 10s, RUNNING ], [server3, 5s, RUNNING]]

Assume that we are interested in displaying a graph using existing Kibana visualizations which will show a summary of all the servers and its status/time taken (as a simple pie chart).

In your opinion, what is the best way to test it?
And is there a way, at all to test this?

Richie

This topic was automatically closed 28 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.