KIbana geo-ip visualization using existing Lat Lon

Is ELK or Kibana 5.6 capable to plot and visualize geo location if zip code with latitude and longitudes are provided if yes then till what dept will it is be any close to google map offering ?

if your ES mapping has a geo_point, you can use "Coordinate Map" visualization
ANd if you have a zipcode field in your documents, you could use a terms-aggregation and show it on the Region Map. This requires you to have a geojson file with zipcodes though

Reference: https://github.com/elastic/content/issues/1861#issuecomment-322614748

And as far as zoom levels are concerned, while the normal zoom levels are provided also for users without X-Pack installed, the high-resolution tiles are part of the commercial X-Pack offering. Starting even from the free X-Pack basic tier zoom levels are increased from 10 to 18, which would be definitely closer to google map offering I think.

Thanks
Rashmi

Thanks for the pointer Rashmi, the reference link seems to be broken.

No, it does work for me :slight_smile:
https://github.com/elastic/content/issues/1861#issuecomment-322614748

Hi Rashmi

I am still having issue passing geo_point mapping the lat,lon since upgrading the 5.6 (this was working in 5.3) is there a known issue with 5.6 geohash? I have the default twitter plugin installed but it seems my config is not using the template i am specifying in the conf file . How do i determine if my logstash is indeed using the template specified in the config my geoip config is very similar to the one discussed here but it still does not work. If i default it to use logstash template i no longer get the geo_point error would appreciate any pointers to fix the geo_point issue.

hi @imortalsolitude,

could you share the mappings of your index? It'd be interesting to see if you have a geo_point field there.

thanks,

I dont see geo_point being passed anywhere in the index mapping i believe it is not even using the custom template i am pointing it to i can see the latitude and longitude being shown with the city and state.
"twitter-cvs": {
"mappings": {
"tweet": {
"properties": {
"@timestamp": {
"type": "date"
},
"@version": {
"type": "text",
"fields": {
"keyword": {
"type": "keyword",
"ignore_above": 256
}
}
},
"coordinates": {
"type": "float"
},
"type": {
}
}
}
}
},
"created_at": {
}
}
},
"display_text_range": {
"type": "long"
"geo": {
"type": "float"
},
"type": {
}
}

I was wondering if this has something to do with the twitter plugin that i had installed, if i remove the plugin geo-ip filed is no longer populated in the index mapping adding it back brings the geo-ip field back in the index.

Yeah, you need the geo_point field as a prerequisite for any kind of mapping.

I'm not familiar with the twitter-plugin. Is that something from logstash or Elasticsearch maybe?

twitter-plugin is logstash extension but even without the plugin my indexes are not populating with geo-ip information is there anything wrong with the template or the conf file? i dont even see my template being used. if i default to /_template repository then a few things work.

The issue seems to be with the template and its linkage to the index. If i use the default logstash index then the geo_point works however if any specific index is to be created other than the default logstash template the geo_point issue re-occurs.

This topic was automatically closed 28 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.